Metal in the power steering/brake booster fluid

2016 2500 extra cab 4x4 6.0 13500 miles. The other day I noticed that the brake pedal felt strange. Would feel hard at the top for a split second then release and brake normally. The truck braked okay No lights on the dash or any other indicator there was problem. Also noticed it if I hit the brake fast. It didn't go away and yesterday I was starting the truck and when I pressed on the brake pedal it felt hard then soft. The brake light on the dash flashed for a fraction of a second. Since I wasn't far from the dealer ( I Live an hour away) I decided to pop in and see if they had time for a look. Luckily they could accommodate me. The Service writer seemed to know what I was talking about and immediately suspected the booster ( not there first one and had it in stock). Well what they discovered was worse. Metal fragments  in the fluid and thus through out the system. I didn't realize the power steering and brake booster are all the same system on these trucks. So according to the dealer everything needs to be replaced..booster lines, ect. I have loaner because they didn't have all the parts in stock. 

Is this a common issue? What could have caused it? I am a little annoyed as this is the second time in a year the truck has gone in overnight for a repair. This first being a crank position sensor.   I can't complain about the dealer they have been great so far. 

Thanks

Well in case anyone is interested I got my truck back today. Total time was about 48 hours. The replaced the entire power steering system. Including pump, gear, hoses,  booster, and rod kit. All seems good now.