Choosing Baby Car Seats

Tilalit

I am surprised you haven't had other new parents responding.  If I was in the market for a car seat, I'd check with my auto insurance provider.  They will most likely  have accurate and up to date information on what to buy.

I am suprised too with the low response. I would talk with other parents and see what they have and what options they actually use. Willing to bet just the basic seat will suffice.

Now with what I am about to say hopefully no one will be jumping me. Back in ‘98 the wife and I bought a new Greco car seat with the detachable base for her car. It was pretty nice for 20 Year’s ago. Not sure what the big name brand is now. I then bought a car seat at a garage sale that was just stap in, it didn’t have the detachable base. After I tore it all apart and inspected the seat for any signs of stress, I ordered through Greco new belts, padding and fabric. Ended up paying less than half the cost. I used this seat in the truck because I just carried my daughter in my arms wherever we went. We used both seats for both of my daughters then sold them after reinspecting them. They were never involved in a collision.

I am not saying this is what to do, it’s just what I did due to our financial situation at the time.

We picked ones where we could buy extra bases to put into all of our vehicles. Also convertible seats are the way to go so as they grow you can convert them and save money. Check out the ratings on sites that sell them. That is helpful info.

I am so glad we are past the baby seat stage. My daughter is in a booster seat and will be for about another two years then we are done with them for good.

Ryan B.

We’ve been happy with our Chicco seats and stroller. Like that the seats just snap into the bases in the car and stroller. They’ve held up very well and seem comfortable and secure.

22 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

I am so glad we are past the baby seat stage. My daughter is in a booster seat and will be for about another two years then we are done with them for good.

Ryan B.

I fully appreciate what you're saying and I remember feeling the same way.  Just remember to enjoy every step and stage and be in no hurry to see them pass.  My last grandchild (of 4) is just about over the booster seat size. The downside of children getting older is so are their caregivers!

We went with the Britax B-Safe 35 and the stroller it clips into. He’s now 8 months and no issues. Two bases so we can put him in either vehicle. Probably will start looking at convertibles in a few months.

We bought it online from albeebaby.com...best prices I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Britax newest stuff has a awesome belt in procedure, "clicktight" the seat butt area opens like a hood, you put the belt in, buckle it, and when you lower the "hood" it locks the belt in place, it's a 10 second install. It is seriously SO easy and from a top tier brand I don't think there is any question of others, until they start copying. I really wish they used it when mine were that age. We had a top end one, Steel tube frame on the back sides, heavy honey comb rubber to absorb motion in front or rear collisions. But, they weighed a ton and cost $400- $500 each. But its worth it to keep your little gremlin safe. Also had a safety thread sown in so if there was a wreck the thread would break. That's means they are EASY to re sell when you are done, very obvious proof they are safe. I think I got $250 out of a pair. 

https://us.britax.com/product-knowledge/articles/clicktight-convertibles/#

Edited by SnakeEyeSS

I highly recommend britax car seats. We had a Greco when my son was an infant and it wasn’t bad but just okay. We upgraded to a britax and it is awesome. It also is a convertible so it grows with him so to speak. We got ours from Kohl’s with a 30 percent off coupon. Cost us around 300. Hooking it up in my truck and my wife’s car is extremely easy.

I’ll second the Chicco stuff. We have a Keyfit 30 Zip Air for our newborn and Nextfit Zip Air for our 3yr old and they’re great. We have bases in all our vehicles and even adapters for our Bob stroller that allow the Keyfit to pop in and out. We wouldn’t use anything else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My wife and I have had britax seats since our 3 kids were born, the bucket seats and forward facing seats are fantastic. We’ve recently started having some problems with the harness tightening mechanism on our 2 convertible seats/boosters but they’ve been through hell and back with our boys and all the milk/juice that gets spilled in them. My wife owns a baby gear detailing company here in Toronto so the seats are kept up very well but that still hasn’t alleviated the harness tightening issues. She just got Clek seats for her new suv but I’m honesty not a fan of how they get installed, the britax installation is by far the best I’ve ever seen. Once they’re latched in it’s like they’re one with the car. 

Edited by Tdotsfinest