Traded my Silverado for a Colorado and I HATED IT!

On 4/9/2018 at 9:57 AM, Loco-diablo said:

The only thing I miss is the turning radius of my Taco... The Silverado takes BIG turns!

Never owned a Taco, but my Canyon's turning radius is a lot smaller than my Silverado. My Silverado was a good truck and my Canyon is a good truck. As I sold the camper all I need to tow is an 18' bass boat with a 150 HP and the Canyon does it easily.

Never owned a Taco, but my Canyon's turning radius is a lot smaller than my Silverado. My Silverado was a good truck and my Canyon is a good truck. As I sold the camper all I need to tow is an 18' bass boat with a 150 HP and the Canyon does it easily.

I went the opposite. I towed more with my small trucks than I tow now! Lol!
I just wanted to go full size this time around since the mileage of the full size 1/2 tons is pretty darn good these days. I’m getting the same mpg with my v8 Chevy as I did with my V6 Tacoma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

I went the opposite. I towed more with my small trucks than I tow now! Lol!
I just wanted to go full size this time around since the mileage of the full size 1/2 tons is pretty darn good these days. I’m getting the same mpg with my v8 Chevy as I did with my V6 Tacoma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely can't say that.. The camper was high 5s dry weight which is too close to the Canyon's rating.  As we bought a cabin, my towing days are over; except for the bass boat.

From what a bud said Tacos are thirsty and slower than a 5.3. He also agreed a Taco needs less room to turn than a Silverado.

My Canyon is over 26 with Exxon or Shell and mid 25s with Marathon. My Silverado, 5.3 aluminum, extended cab was good, but not as good as the Canyon.

10 hours ago, Yonah_Mtn said:

I definitely can't say that.. The camper was high 5s dry weight which is too close to the Canyon's rating.  As we bought a cabin, my towing days are over; except for the bass boat.

From what a bud said Tacos are thirsty and slower than a 5.3. He also agreed a Taco needs less room to turn than a Silverado.

My Canyon is over 26 with Exxon or Shell and mid 25s with Marathon. My Silverado, 5.3 aluminum, extended cab was good, but not as good as the Canyon.

I'm not sure about the current Gen3 Taco with the DI 3.5. I had a Gen2 with the 4.0. I know the newer 3.5 has more hp than the 4.0 and I would suspect better fuel economy. My 4.0 access cab 4x4 Taco got about 21 mpg highway, 17 city.

I'm getting about the same with my 2017 Silverado 5.3 double cab 4x4.

23 hours ago, Yonah_Mtn said:

No doubt that the Canyon's & Colorado's do get a little better MPG than the 1500 series trucks... I'd say about 2 mpg difference between the two beasts...

On 4/11/2018 at 10:08 PM, Imcrazy said:

No doubt that the Canyon's & Colorado's do get a little better MPG than the 1500 series trucks... I'd say about 2 mpg difference between the two beasts...

I'm getting mid-26s from the Canyon V6 with AS tires. I can't say my 2010 Silverado 5.3 with M&S tires was 2 MPG less.

When we had the camper, the dual wheels of the camper went into a 12" or so ditch.  It was a single lane dirt road cut on a mountain with a vertical on one side and a steep slope on the other. In short, with no room to swing the truck and close to no room to play back it up jockeying for a better angle.

The Silverado pulled it out without spinning a tire and the Canyon could never do that.. Getting the camper out was even more difficult as I had added a gate to keep people out.. However, I could back the camper up to get a better angle..

With me, the trucks I own are based on my need for what they can do. When I needed it, the Silverado was the best truck I could have picked for the job. It pulled the camper up I-26's Saluda grade without needing to follow the interstate rigs in the slow lane. Yes, a lot of other trucks could do the same.

Now my towing need is for a 18'-1" dual console fiberglass bass boat with a 150 HP Mercury. The Canyon does it easily and seems to be more maneuverable at the launch ramp. OTOH, either does and did it well. 

22 hours ago, Yonah_Mtn said:

I'm getting mid-26s from the Canyon V6 with AS tires. I can't say my 2010 Silverado 5.3 with M&S tires was 2 MPG less.

When we had the camper, the dual wheels of the camper went into a 12" or so ditch.  It was a single lane dirt road cut on a mountain with a vertical on one side and a steep slope on the other. In short, with no room to swing the truck and close to no room to play back it up jockeying for a better angle.

The Silverado pulled it out without spinning a tire and the Canyon could never do that.. Getting the camper out was even more difficult as I had added a gate to keep people out.. However, I could back the camper up to get a better angle..

With me, the trucks I own are based on my need for what they can do. When I needed it, the Silverado was the best truck I could have picked for the job. It pulled the camper up I-26's Saluda grade without needing to follow the interstate rigs in the slow lane. Yes, a lot of other trucks could do the same.

Now my towing need is for a 18'-1" dual console fiberglass bass boat with a 150 HP Mercury. The Canyon does it easily and seems to be more maneuverable at the launch ramp. OTOH, either does and did it well. 

The best MPG I got out of the Colorado on the highway was 23 mpg, best I get outta the Silverado is about 21 mpg... My average in the Silverado is about 17 mpg over all and the Colorado was about 19 overall in mixed highway / city travels...The Colorado is more maneuverable and easier to drive, I just could not find a comfortable driving position in that truck, also maybe it was because mine was a Z71 with a 5' bed but, the choppy ride got old too.... The fuel economy doesn't make too much of a difference to me and as far as towing capability either truck would handle 95% of my needs so if the Colorado had an interior to my liking it would be tough to justify the bigger truck but, when you spend 25k miles behind the wheel like I do I won't compromise on comfort (especially when my employer gives me an allowance that covers 90% of my car payment... When the next gen Colorado/Canyon come out I'll check 'em out again...

9 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

The best MPG I got out of the Colorado on the highway was 23 mpg, best I get outta the Silverado is about 21 mpg... My average in the Silverado is about 17 mpg over all and the Colorado was about 19 overall in mixed highway / city travels...The Colorado is more maneuverable and easier to drive, I just could not find a comfortable driving position in that truck, also maybe it was because mine was a Z71 with a 5' bed but, the choppy ride got old too.... The fuel economy doesn't make too much of a difference to me and as far as towing capability either truck would handle 95% of my needs so if the Colorado had an interior to my liking it would be tough to justify the bigger truck but, when you spend 25k miles behind the wheel like I do I won't compromise on comfort (especially when my employer gives me an allowance that covers 90% of my car payment... When the next gen Colorado/Canyon come out I'll check 'em out again...

The '10 Silverado had all the HD towing options, so highway MPG was 18. No AFM might have been why the mileage was less?

Pulling 6K# dry weight trailer was effortless. Throw it in tow mode and set the cruise.. All I ever needed to do was adjust the friction brake in high winds to stop the tail wagging.  I can't say enough to brag on that truck's abilities..

The Canyon is the crew cab with 6' bed. So no "bucking Bronco" ride.. I have long legs and arms, over 6' with wide shoulders and 200# and the I fit fine in the Canyon. The Silverado had more leg room than the Corvette and one of the very few vehicles where I couldn't reach and open the passenger door. LOL

Between here and the cabin, is about 110 miles each way and we make the drive once a week. 

14 hours ago, Yonah_Mtn said:

The '10 Silverado had all the HD towing options, so highway MPG was 18. No AFM might have been why the mileage was less?

Pulling 6K# dry weight trailer was effortless. Throw it in tow mode and set the cruise.. All I ever needed to do was adjust the friction brake in high winds to stop the tail wagging.  I can't say enough to brag on that truck's abilities..

The Canyon is the crew cab with 6' bed. So no "bucking Bronco" ride.. I have long legs and arms, over 6' with wide shoulders and 200# and the I fit fine in the Canyon. The Silverado had more leg room than the Corvette and one of the very few vehicles where I couldn't reach and open the passenger door. LOL

Between here and the cabin, is about 110 miles each way and we make the drive once a week. 

Ah yes, the AFM is the only reason I get over 20mpg hwy I am sure... I am only getting that kind MPG in the summer at speeds less than 65mph.... Kick it up to 70mph plus or toss in lots of hills and I am lucky to get 19 mpg in the truck...

Yeah if I ever get another midsize it will A) be a Canyon, the styling on those is spot on - Colorado looks like an SUV trying to be a truck where as the GMC looks like a smaller Sierra.... and B) have the 6' bed...

I have long legs compared to my arms, so I couldn't get close enough to reach the steering wheel without my legs bumping my key's / getting in the way of the steering wheel to some degree...

I really appreciated the ease of driving the smaller truck, its tighter turning circle and how peppy the 308hp V6 was with the 8 speed transmission in the smaller truck plus, the backseat on the Colorado crew cab is more comfortable than the double cab Silverado but, my back seat is mostly used for stuff - I bet that in the roughly 5 years of having a double cab 1500 truck I've only had back seat passengers a dozen times...

4 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

Ah yes, the AFM is the only reason I get over 20mpg hwy I am sure... I am only getting that kind MPG in the summer at speeds less than 65mph.... Kick it up to 70mph plus or toss in lots of hills and I am lucky to get 19 mpg in the truck...

Yeah if I ever get another midsize it will A) be a Canyon, the styling on those is spot on - Colorado looks like an SUV trying to be a truck where as the GMC looks like a smaller Sierra.... and B) have the 6' bed...

I have long legs compared to my arms, so I couldn't get close enough to reach the steering wheel without my legs bumping my key's / getting in the way of the steering wheel to some degree...

I really appreciated the ease of driving the smaller truck, its tighter turning circle and how peppy the 308hp V6 was with the 8 speed transmission in the smaller truck plus, the backseat on the Colorado crew cab is more comfortable than the double cab Silverado but, my back seat is mostly used for stuff - I bet that in the roughly 5 years of having a double cab 1500 truck I've only had back seat passengers a dozen times...

When I was working, I-26's Saluda grade which goes from the foothills of SC to NC, over a 1200' climb with a 6% and 7% grade.. Literally MPG stunk.. The Silverado could go up the grade towing in the middle lane and do the speed limit plus 2 to 5 MPG. I can't say the same for a lot of other trucks towing about the same.. It was a re-badge or a Chevy built in a GMC plant...

My Silverado was relatively quick for what it weighed. However at 70 or fast acceleration, it guzzled the gas.. OTOH, when one considered what it could do, I easily forgave it..

It was an extended cab and the back seat was used less than 5 times by humans, the dogs were the prime occupants. The interior was cloth and dog hair was a real problem.

The Canyon has leather and to protect it from dog claws, I bought a Cover King Cordura "ballistic nylon" seat cover.. As it is heavy duty, the fit well, lets say Cover King is being honest: " This stiffer fabric doesn't fit as tightly as others, but offers more durability " It's the saggy, baggy elephant of seat covers.. :lol:

As you said the Canyon's styling is spot on.. I've gotten more compliments on the Canyon than any other vehicle I've owned.. 

Parking is easy and it has changed a local turn, then back up and turn again corners into turn.. We buy eggs from a neighbor and the turn is a Y. Can't complain as all full size (GM, Dodge, Ford, Toyota) trucks have the same issue. Some RWD cars will lose traction.. :D

As I mentioned, I'm built like an orangutan.. 34-36 inseam depending on who made the jeans. I fit well in the Canyon, but my arms match my legs. In the 66 and 69 Corvettes, my right leg had a red spot from rubbing the console..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was in a similar situation. I went into the dealer with the 8ntention of buying a Colorado, and I left with a Silverado. The long and short of it is that they were much more aggressive on dealing for the Silverado. I also thought the back seat was a little small in the Colorado. 

From what my salesman told me the Canyon/Colorado line sells more at his dealership than the big trucks. If one can believe a salesman. :sigh:

MPG is about 26 hand calculated. As our towing a 29'-6" camper are over and towing duties are an 18'-1" bass boat with a 150 HP; the Canyon does the job easily. 

The back seat area is larger than her Volvo S-60 T5. The Sierra's back seat hauled a passenger twice and the S-60 once.  

3 hours ago, Yonah_Mtn said:

From what my salesman told me the Canyon/Colorado line sells more at his dealership than the big trucks. If one can believe a salesman. :sigh:

MPG is about 26 hand calculated. As our towing a 29'-6" camper are over and towing duties are an 18'-1" bass boat with a 150 HP; the Canyon does the job easily. 

The back seat area is larger than her Volvo S-60 T5. The Sierra's back seat hauled a passenger twice and the S-60 once.  

The supply to demand ratio on Colorado's & Canyon's means that there are fewer on the lot compared to the amount of trucks they sell, do GM dealers sell more mid-size trucks than full-size.

I would imagine that it pulls that bass boat just fine.... I liked the back seat better on the Colorado crew cab than the backseat on the Silverado double cab, the leg room is fine on both but, the seat back is too straight up and down on the double cab where as the backseat on the colorado was more reclined... I rarely take passengers and when we do I just drive the 16 Malibu.... Next truck I will probably buy a Silverado/ Sierra Crew Cab.....

11 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

The supply to demand ratio on Colorado's & Canyon's means that there are fewer on the lot compared to the amount of trucks they sell, do GM dealers sell more mid-size trucks than full-size.

I would imagine that it pulls that bass boat just fine.... I liked the back seat better on the Colorado crew cab than the backseat on the Silverado double cab, the leg room is fine on both but, the seat back is too straight up and down on the double cab where as the backseat on the colorado was more reclined... I rarely take passengers and when we do I just drive the 16 Malibu.... Next truck I will probably buy a Silverado/ Sierra Crew Cab.....

Well said !! 

It does tow the bass boat right well. I'd bet it loses a few MPG; however, the boat launch is less than .15 miles from the cabin; so it is a no big thing. 

My Silverado was a re-badge or it came down the same assembly line in Ft Wayne. My Silverado had every towing option GM offers and for a half ton it did the job quite well. Push the tow mode, set the cruise and it was a no brainier. 

I really like the Canyon, more options than I need, but they were on the vehicle.. The 3.6 gets great MPG and is relatively quick for what it is.. Her Volvo S-60 T5 is a bit quicker and the Corvette runs high 9s in the quarter. 

I almost bought a Denali.. But, I'm not towing anything heavy. The bull dogs, y'all call them Pitts; more accurately, long legged Blue Pitts are happy in the back seat.. When we travel from the house to the cabin; the dogs have the seat.  The laptops fit between the seats and the camera does also.. The Tonneau Pro tri-fold bed cover keeps everything secure and dry in the back. So it is all good for us..

11 hours ago, Imcrazy said: