2011 GMC Sierra 3500HD

My dad recently passed away and I now have his '11 Sierra 3500HD (right at 94000 miles on it).  Got in it to go to work this morning and it was showing "Service Exhaust Fluid System See Owner's Manual Now" on the DIC.  Went ahead and drove my truck to work.  Got home and was checking it and found the CEL light lit and P2009 code.  I am new to the Duramax line and was wondering where to start looking/what to do to get this taken care of.

1 minute ago, casey.mikl said:

Is there def fluid in the tank? If the dpf system is bad, time to straight pipe and delete it with a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know there is...do these trucks have a DEF level sensor to tell you how much is left in the tank.  I planned on stopping tomorrow and getting some and topping it off just in case

The delete kit was in dad's plans for the truck after he retired (he retired at the end of January and passed away 3 weeks ago this Monday). 

I’m sorry to hear that. I don’t know as I have never seen the duramax cluster. I know the 15 and up ones do. Cycle through the info stuff on the cluster and see if it pops up. I think the tanks are only about 5 gallons.

it's not the fluid level, it's something else, probably the NOX sensors.  Very common issue.  not cheap. but not super expensive either,.  If the fluid was low it would give you a different message.  might go search the forums over at duramaxforum.com as many people over there have had this issue.  I had it with my 2012.  Nox sensors.  Seems about right with that millage. 

On 4/5/2018 at 8:33 PM, casey.mikl said:

Is there def fluid in the tank? If the dpf system is bad, time to straight pipe and delete it with a tune.

Added fluid to the system and drove it for a while and still getting the "Service Exhaust Fluid System See Owner's Manual Now" message.  Took it a local shop and it had codes for "SCR NOx Catalystt Efficiency Beyond Threshold Bank 1 (P20EE) and Reductant Heater "A" Control Circuit Open (P20B9).  They have the exhaust ordered and waiting to hear back from them on the tune.  Good thing is that my wife's cousin works at the shop and I'm getting a deal on everything

P20B9 is the ringer there.  Needs a DEF tank reservoir.  Very common.  2011 and I think 2012 have a special policy on them for 10 years/120,000 miles?  Special policy is VIN specific, so a dealer would have to verify if its covered.   

That is correct.  I had the DEF system replaced on my 2012 under that extended warranty.  But the NoX sensors will not be under warranty unless still under a factory warranty.  It's an expensive fix :(  (over $1000 to replace both nox sensors)

Also, you'll need the GM Tech II tool to initiate a manual regen once the NOX sensors are replaced as part of the calibration/programming of the new sensors.  Has to be a manual/service regen. 

Archived