1 hour ago, BLACK BOWTIE said:

Not impressed with either one. Need NEW design people. They just don't stand out from the crowd.

Throwing together a bunch of various styling 'cues' from other vehicles doesn't cut it. Look @ the references people are making to the F150 & Tundra.

In the past, GM's pickups stood out on their OWN styling.

Nobody complains about shoe manufacturers that they come up with similar designs just because it is fashion at the time.

Sure, there are some cues reminding me of other vehicles, but I still think that the design of the GM trucks stands out. For the better or the worse.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Like 1

It is probably safe to say that all or many manufacturers "borrow" styling from other manufacturers.

One example that comes to mind are Lexus vehicles.

These have a honeycomb shaped grille that stretches from the hood down to the lower valance, thus giving

an appearance of no bumper in the middle. Nissan, Toyota (parent company of Lexus) and Hyundai are starting to copy this design.

Although a Volvo today still looks like a Volvo from the 80s LOL

So no doubt truck styling suffers the same fate.  

Keep in mind that Toyota, Ford and Gm all share ideas openly.  

Certain models of these 2019 T1 GM trucks will share 10 speed transmission design with Ford.
I also learned that Toyota uses GM engine design/technology, so no wonder some of us think the T1's look like a Tundra of sorts.

On 4/10/2018 at 8:45 PM, '01LS1 said:

The four styling details that stand out to me are the grille/headlight assembly, the air curtains, the sweeping body through the front fender that rolls downward through the door & the lowered mirror location. 

I think you could do any single one of those details & get away with it. The GM faithful will show up with check books. All four combined become polarizing. I think it works really well with the trail boss concept. 

But have to admit am curious what the Silverado would look like with that body line that starts at the headlight was straight & faded out at the fender/door seam & move the mirrors up to their traditional location. 

Completely understand they needed or wanted to make a differentiating design statement & there will be some who love it. Which is great! Guess I keep thinking about the Equinox that was rolled out to their opinion groups that was shunned. 

I don't know. We are all passionate about these vehicles or we would not be discussing them on forums. I hope they sell really well for GM. But glad my truck has low miles with zero issues. :thumbs:

I agree 100%! The parts in bold are the first things I noticed, and the first thing I discussed with my buddy/Chevy salesman. That's my biggest complaint about the Silverado. I really wish they would have brought that body line all the way down the side, kind of like the 2018 Tahoe and Traverse. With the new, round wheel wells, a straight body line like that (and traditional mirrors) would have given them a similar look to the old 1968-1972 trucks.....which would have been a good thing, in my opinion.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the pictures it looks like GM did pretty good job in bringing the styling up to modern times and differentiating the two.  I am sure they will look better in the wild as they are somewhat dramatic departures from previous generations.  That is a good thing.  I can't tell a present day Ram from one made early 2000's?  The chevy with the hood and 6.2L looks very tasty!

2 hours ago, SilveradoSpartan said:

Lear isn't a new supplier. 

They've had 2 plants in southern Ontario since GM outsourced the seat assembly in '86 for GMT400 production (down to 1 when Oshawa Truck closed in '09).  A vendor Woodbridge Foam had a plant next door to Lear. They assembled the seats for the GMT900s. I have no idea who has been making the K2XX seats.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't hate the interior, I just feel like its too similar to the K2 interior. Dodge is doing something really neat with a huge in dash screen for their top trim trucks, but GM is basically reshaping whats already there. 

This redesign has  had me wondering what I'm going to do for my next vehicle. It's also made up my mind that I'm not changing vehicles any time soon. I simply dislike it. It looks too much like the other brands that I don't care for. That's what kept me away from the other brands to begin with. 

I've considered an suv, I'll wait to see what the next Yukon and Tahoe look like. I like having a truck, but I don't HAVE to, so long as I have the full frame, towing capable, practicality of a truck-like vehicle. 

On 4/12/2018 at 11:46 AM, revrnd said:

Lear isn't a new supplier. 

They've had 2 plants in southern Ontario since GM outsourced the seat assembly in '86 for GMT400 production (down to 1 when Oshawa Truck closed in '09).  A vendor Woodbridge Foam had a plant next door to Lear. They assembled the seats for the GMT900s. I have no idea who has been making the K2XX seats.

Well, they weren't making the K2XX seats, so they are NEW suppliers.  

• 1 month later...