Headlights - can someone tell me why?

I was sitting in a parking lot, engine off, and someone I wanted to communicate to entered the lot and I flashed my brights so he would spot me.   The clunk sound from hitting the switch was comical and unique to me.   

I called the dealership service advisor - whom I know - and asked.  He called me back after checking another new Silverado on the lot.  “Normal.”   He said it’s a shutter.  Apparently the high beams are always on (?) but are blocked by a mechanical blind.   What!?!   Straight out of the Flintstones.

Someone please describe to me what’s taking place here and why this design might have been chosen.

Meanwhile I am going to look closer under the driver side floor mat.  There may be some cutouts I can use to save some wear on my brake pads...

Since I assume you came here for an answer and the last 2 guys were nothing more than trolls... I'l answer your question.   Yes, it is normal.   The same "bulb" is used for "regular" headlight illumination and the "brights".   A shutter opens and closes.   That is the clucking sound you hear.   

My ‘16s had LED headlights.    My ‘18 has HID and I’m happy with the illumination performance of them.   

But the mechanism for swapping from low to high beam is new to me.   I’ve owned a number of vehicles over the years, mostly trucks.   I don’t believe a shutter is how any of them worked and if they did, they certainly didn’t make the noise.  

BTW apparently my option package did not include driver side floor knock outs.  

38 minutes ago, Boardmember said:

No but there is an optional horn on the Silverrocko

horn.JPG.262d0083ca8855332cf97bf79a2cfdca.JPG

6 hours ago, Boardmember said:

My ‘16s had LED headlights.    My ‘18 has HID and I’m happy with the illumination performance of them.   

But the mechanism for swapping from low to high beam is new to me.   I’ve owned a number of vehicles over the years, mostly trucks.   I don’t believe a shutter is how any of them worked and if they did, they certainly didn’t make the noise.  

Your 16 would have had the same mechanism. I have noticed it is slightly louder when it's colder outside, usually you can't notice it if the truck is running. Projector headlights with a flap to control light output are fairly common.

Interesting.  I have some expertise and a lot of opinions, but none in the area of automotive headlight design.   Obviously, right?

The LEDs in my ‘16 worked using the same mechanism?  Never heard it.   

Maybe a little piece of soft heat resistant would lessen the clunk.  But knowing this is as designed, we relegate this to “first world problem” and move on.  

Thanks. 

I was surprised and concerned that my SLT, Texas Ed/Prem pkg didn’t have LEDs.  Not an issue to me.  The HIDs seem fine, night-vision-wise.   And I like the look of the LED surround with the HID lamp and how the blinker looks when operating.  

Archived