2017 - Creaking Sound - Front Left Side (drivers side) - FOUND IT!

2017 LT with a very annoying creaking sound coming from left front/driver's side.   As typical, I take it in for an oil change and request to have them check the creaking sound and I get the infamous ("unable to reproduce").   Of course they say that!!   

So, before I leave I make the service manager get into the truck, we slowly roll around the lot and he says, "yes!  I hear it... yes I do."  Ok well, maybe you should issue hearing aids to the techs! ????

I have to leave, so I leave and reschedule.  One week later I return and request the tech come to the truck with me before I let them take it behind the curtain.   30min later, the tech shows up with the service manager and is ready to go for his ride to hear the sound.  He jumps in the truck!   I say, "no no no... there's no ride needed."   

So he comes back around.  I open the back door and get out a small roll of carpet and had it to the tech.  I tell him, "here, hold this for a second."  Then I go to the back drop the tail gate and pull out a long 2x4.   Keep in mind we are under the big service turn in bay and by now people are looking!    I go back to the tech take the roll of carpet, put it up under the front fender, then take the 2x4 and slide it between the tire and the carpet roll... then I go to the end of the 2x4 and tell tech to get down and lay under the truck and tell me if you can hear the creaking sound.   I proceed to work the 2x4 up and down and the creak is VERY OBVIOUS and he can hear it.   Imagine that!!!   He very quickly determines that it's NOT anything to do with suspension (I agree), he says that it's a body mount and that the body will need to be lifted and the mount replaced and the area cleaned and lubed.   

I said, "yep... I do agree, so here are the keys... would you also like my creak reproduction tools??"  LOL!   

To date, they still have the truck, so I don't know for sure if it will be resolved, I'm pretty confident though because that IS where the sound was coming from.  I will keep you all posted here.

I know there are mysterious creaks and squeaks with the newer trucks, so I thought I would share my story!   I have learned that if you take your truck in for anything like this, figure out and be sure you have a way to clearly reproduce the sound!

Glad to hear you found the source but if it was my truck I would rather live with the creaking noise then let the dealership mechanics take the body off the frame.  So much stuff has to be disconnected and taken apart that I would not trust them to get it back together right.  You may end up with more annoying creaks than you started with.

Hmmmm.... well, that's not very comforting that's for sure! We'll see what they come up with.  I'll let ya'll know what happens!   Holding my breath!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived