2019 Engine HP/TQ guesses? 5.3

I'm seriously looking at purchasing either the new Silverado or Sierra with the new re-design.  I'm curious why GM hasn't let out any info about the engine ratings since releasing the truck?  I hope we see some improvements for the 5.3L.  I recently had a f150 rental with the 2.7EB paired with the 10spd and came away very impressed.  I drove it on a lot of highway stretches and was able to get really good fuel mileage and it felt surprisingly quick compared to our 5.3 on the Yukon.  I don't care for the Ford design at all, but I really feel like GM needs to start competing with better engines.  I know the 6.2 is a beast, but most of us will be getting the 5.3.  While the motor is solid, I'm less than impressed with the AFM in my wife's Yukon.  I find myself driving in L5 to get around the v4 mode in town.  

Anyhow do we expect closer to 375HP and 400TQ or greater this time around?  I'm a bit nervous about the new skip fire technology.  That is honestly one of the main reasons that may hold me back from a purchase this year.  Has anyone heard any rumors regarding power ratings?  

I doubt they will improve much on the HP on the 5.3. The best that could happen is a better gear ratio. Back in 2004 i drove a new silverado 4wd 5.3 with 4:10 gears and that thing was an animal compared to the regular version which i think was 3:73 gears back then. The 10 speed should help improve acceleration. The need to go back to the 5.7 so they get some more torque and i bet the 5.7 would get the same MPg or better than the 5.3.

1 hour ago, Gagliano7 said:

I doubt they will improve much on the HP on the 5.3. The best that could happen is a better gear ratio. Back in 2004 i drove a new silverado 4wd 5.3 with 4:10 gears and that thing was an animal compared to the regular version which i think was 3:73 gears back then. The 10 speed should help improve acceleration. The need to go back to the 5.7 so they get some more torque and i bet the 5.7 would get the same MPg or better than the 5.3.

I'm glad you mentioned gear ratio.  There are so many variables that go into  the power of a vehicle.  Just look in your owners' manual and compare pulling power of the various combinations.  I wonder if increasing hp at this point would/could even be noticeable with DFM?

I would be buying the 6.2 if they would just put the darn engine in the truck I want. Stupid government regulations. I doubt you will see any increase in power. Government wants better gas milage not more power. 

Any yes there is a big difference in the 3:08's some guys want for gas milage and the 3:42 I get for performance. 

2 hours ago, Gagliano7 said:

Oh you mean like the 365 lb/ft the LS1 had in my GTO? Oops - that's lower than what the new 5.3 ecotec is rated :P

The 5.3 is DI & can absolutely be tuned for more power than it originally debuted w/  - I would imagine we will see bumps in power for the entire lineup moving forward to keep pace w/ the competition from Dodge/Ford

• Like 1

The 6.2 with the standard ratio rear end, 3.23, has the same pulling power as the 5.3 with the optional 3.42.  Opt for the 5.3 with the 3.73 and you'll far exceed the limits of the standard 6.2.  The 4.3 with the 3.42 will out pull a 5.3 with a 3.08.   There are various ways to increase function or efficiency.  Rear end ratios and transmissions can negate the benefits of increased horsepower.  When looking for a travel trailer,  maximum trailer weight rating of your tow vehicle is what matters.  The only reason GM will want to increase the horsepower is to appease the crowd who find bragging rights important.  

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

The 6.2 with the standard ratio rear end, 3.23, has the same pulling power as the 5.3 with the optional 3.42.  Opt for the 5.3 with the 3.73 and you'll far exceed the limits of the standard 6.2.  The 4.3 with the 3.42 will out pull a 5.3 with a 3.08.   There are various ways to increase function or efficiency.  Rear end ratios and transmissions can negate the benefits of increased horsepower.  When looking for a travel trailer,  maximum trailer weight rating of your tow vehicle is what matters.  The only reason GM will want to increase the horsepower is to appease the crowd who find bragging rights important.  

The idea is right but the math is wrong.  A 6.2 with 3.23s will embarrass a 5.3 with 3.42s.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jeffro19 said:

I’m guessing the 5.3 will be 375hp/400tq and the 6.2 will be 450hp/470tq. Might as well guess on the 3.0 diesel  250hp/ 440tq

I hope you're right but I think we are looking at 370/390 and 430-440hp.  

Hopefully they pull their head out of their rear and allow aggressive gears on all the trucks as an option like the competition.

Not using the 10 speed across the board except work trucks tells me they're not interested in being #1 in sales.  I'd thought they would want market share back and at least match Ford on that front.  Doesn't give me much hope.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shift_grind said:

I hope you're right but I think we are looking at 370/390 and 430-440hp.  

Hopefully they pull their head out of their rear and allow aggressive gears on all the trucks as an option like the competition.

Not using the 10 speed across the board except work trucks tells me they're not interested in being #1 in sales.  I'd thought they would want market share back and at least match Ford on that front.  Doesn't give me much hope.  

I believe the motivation to produce the most appeal to the largest number of consumers is the goal of all manufacturers.  When a manufacturer stops producing a particular model or component that I really liked I attribute this to the broader market not sharing my preferences.  Personally, I am very surprised that GM is keeping the V8's and not focusing on V6's like Ford.  I still am very curious how anyone is going to be able to take advantage of increased horsepower with DFM architecture.   If cylinder activation is going to be dependent on need, then the joy of V8 ownership will be realized only under extreme conditions.  I wonder what they will sound like at idle? 

I have a 2016 6.2 and thought it was a beast after a Black Bear tune...until I bought an Audi for my wife. GMC 6.2 stock 420HP-460 torque about 5300 lbs. GM needs to get with Turbos, IMO. Our Audi is an SUV with a 3.0 single Turbo- 354HP-369Torque., weighs 4400.  Obviously it’s an SUV and couldn’t tow big weight but it tows my RZR with trailer (2300+) at least as good as my truck, probably better and with 30% better economy.  Both 8 speeds. Maybe some is superior German technology but the amount of low end torque, stability control and passing power blows me away.  Passing at 70 mph it’s not unusual to be over 100 and feel like I’m going 70. I find myself wondering what my truck would be like with a smaller engine and similar power gains from a well designed Turbo. That said Ford has been running Turbos for years and and I’m not that impressed with them. They may be better with the new 10 speed.