98 K1500 rear end swap ???

I have a 98 k1500 with almost 300,000 on it. The rear end has slowly gotten a whine over time that is getting worse. I don't really want to rebuild it due to not having the calibration tools that are needed. I have a neighbor that has one out of a 2000 1500 and one that is in a 2002  escalade. They both have my gear ratio and they both have disc brakes, I have drum. Can anyone tell me if either one of these would work for me as a direct bolt up,  brakes included. Or do I have to switch my drums over? Thanks for any info you can offer!!

My guess is, if they are all 10 bolt rearends, is that it will bolt on.  The brakes lines probably need to be modified.  I doubt brake lines for a cylinder will bolt up to the caliper. 

Grab a tape and mesure your spring perches, shock mounts. Any frame and axle shop can move these in needed. 

Also check track width.

How much for the axle assembly? 

I have just started this thinking so I haven't had a chance to check anything yet. Your right the end on the brake line would have to be changed to fit. I know there was some changes in 99 and 2000. Someone told me they thought that they widened the axle somewhere in them years... but I don't know about that for sure. The axle is pretty much free we do favors back and forth he wont take my money.

Different axles from different platforms.  The spring perches are probably different.  Your master cylinder wont run the disc brakes as well.  It would be a pretty decent deal to get a different rear end in the truck.  Go to a junkyard and pickup a rear out of a junk truck.  Change the fluid and itll be fine.  

Went over today and looked a little closer today. The escalade rearend that is definetly a match in gears part. Will not work it has coil springs and some torsion arm that I don't want to fool with. The 2000 1500 rearend looks like a match except for the disc brakes. I am going to drop the cover soon and count the teeth to figure the ratio. Suprisingly the way the brake system is made I will be able to hook my lines right up to the brakes. 

Logan I wondered the same thing about the master cylinder and such. If you you tube drum to disc conversion  I haven't seen them change anything there unless it was old cars without power brakes. Then they had to change the cylinder so it would bolt to a booster. Still researching that though before I dive into this. I also think it has different E brake cable that I will have to change because I think the end is different. They are still on the frame I hope.

It would be nice to have disc on the back, them drums are a PIA.

Archived