Slip Yoke Weeping AT Fuild

So I have a new problem that started about a week ago.  The transmission slip yoke is leaking from the small hole at the U-joint.  The rear seal is bone dry so I know that's good and not the issue.  From what I can find online, I have a bad O-ring in the tail shaft.

Anyone else ever has this issue and if so what was the corrective action?

My truck is also has 5" lift blocks in the back, not sure if maybe I don't have enough engagement for the slip yoke?  whats the best way to measure?

That's good to hear.  Any idea how long the yoke is with out pulling the driveshaft?

For now I just plugged the hole in the middle where it was leaking with some RTV, I dont know how this will effect the transmission but for now it has stopped the leak.  I found a few sites where other have done the same, some people said not to because it is a vent hole.

Hope the RTV keeps working until I can start to pull it apart looking for a bad O-ring.

• 7 months later...
I’m having the same issue I lifted my truck 6.5 and I thought it was leaking from the seal but it leaking towards the end here is a picture. 
I need help I don’t know what is the correct way to fix this.
63894B87-08BE-4D3E-8816-EE7A6AACD36A.thumb.jpeg.dc2a3a0a0f1c37b5bd3b06f27709c944.jpeg

You need a new driveshaft made to the correct length to accommodate your lift. The picture of your slip yoke shows a very dangerous condition that needs to be corrected.

I had one made to the correct length and this is how much of my slip yoke is exposed with all four wheels on the ground. 2e16cc72a4edd84e77648bdc8b90a40b.jpg
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

How hard is it to replace the slip yoke? I have a 2016 GMC Yukon XL that just started leaking when parked on an incline where the rear of vehicle is lower (it doesn't leak when on level ground.) The dealer quoted me almost $500 to replace it which seems like a total rip off! They also recommended replacing the front joint as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2 hours ago, Allen Ash said:

How hard is it to replace the slip yoke? I have a 2016 GMC Yukon XL that just started leaking when parked on an incline where the rear of vehicle is lower (it doesn't leak when on level ground.) The dealer quoted me almost $500 to replace it which seems like a total rip off! They also recommended replacing the front joint as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Slip yokes don't leak.  The slip yoke oil seal might.  3/4 of an hour labor rate for mine which should be the same as yours.

56 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Slip yokes don't leak.  The slip yoke oil seal might.  3/4 of an hour labor rate for mine which should be the same as yours.

While I don't know specifically about the yoke installed on the O.P.s truck, some slip yokes do leak.  At least some of them are machined with a through-hole, and with those ones, the plug used in the hole can leak.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...