2014 Silverado off road upgrading

Hey guys,

So I have an opportunity to turn my silverado into a truck for my Oilfield Now page as I approach a launch to my website.

I need your help though, i now have a ton of sponsors on board but I’m not that great knowledgeable regarding the drive terrain, axles, differentials, etc.

I’m designing it to be an aggressive off road/oil and gas truck so it will travel some of roughest roads in our nation.

I’m looking to add air locking axels as I have a nice on board air system now.

Looking for some guys with off road experience that knows our trucks who can recommend companies and products that will make my 2014 1500 Silverado off road worthy.

A little about the truck now, it will feature an 8” suspension lift with 35-37” tires, on board Viair system, full off road 3/16 bumpers, ton of lighting, traction bars, doing headers, exhaust, cold air and custom program.

So any direction from there will be great guys! I’ll be sure to post the videos of the build on here for you all as well.

Get a winch.  You may also want:

Metal skid plates

Tools

A full size spare, or 2 for the size tire your using

Recovery gear to go with the winch

Extra fuel (gas cans)

5 gal water can

Etc.

If you go way off the beaten path, you will eventually get stuck and/break something.  Be prepared.

• Like 1

I'm in no way trying to offend you here as I'm actually watching your build and eager to see how it comes along.

That said, you're asking a hugely open ended question here. Off road can mean a lot of things, running trails, overlanding, rock crawling, dunes and any combo of those things. Realistically what you've done is taken a giant truck, lifted its center of gravity way up, thrown a ton of extra weight on it and added heavy tires, all of those things can be good or bad depending on the goal. Your truck can't do everything well.

Assuming you're going to a general look ant not overall practicality (and there is nothing wrong with that) I'd agree with Mike GMC on his list. I'd also add:

• CB radio (if you're going more overlanding/long jaunts off road where there are other people around) or satellite phone
  • maxxtraxx
  • Navigation (again, more specific to overlanding but land nav off road is very different from left on main st)
  • hi lift jack (make sure it's rated for the weight)
  • Flashlights (lights on your truck are awesome but you'll want one in your hand or on your head if something goes wrong)
  • snow chains (you live in AB so this is prob a given)

Sure there is stuff I'm missing but truth be told I just banged around the woods in my jeep without too much gear (basic recovery stuff) and thats about the extent of my experience. I've never been too bold to take my current baby on heavy trails.

So what I’m meaning is mostly just off road trails, no dunes up here in western Canada and I won’t be rock crawling.

I will add majority of what you guys just stated above.

I’m looking for advice on upgrading drive terrain now though.. basically anything from body down to the ground.

Just looking to ensure I have the truck good to go for medium off road mud trails.

Yukon is now on board.

What are your thoughts on upgrading my gears? With going up and adding 35’s; think I should go up from 3.42 gears on my 6 speed?

Also - anyone ever install a zip locker on their diffs?

On 4/10/2018 at 12:03 PM, WesternMike said:

Hey guys,

So I have an opportunity to turn my silverado into a truck for my Oilfield Now page as I approach a launch to my website.

I need your help though, i now have a ton of sponsors on board but I’m not that great knowledgeable regarding the drive terrain, axles, differentials, etc.

I’m designing it to be an aggressive off road/oil and gas truck so it will travel some of roughest roads in our nation.

I’m looking to add air locking axels as I have a nice on board air system now.

Looking for some guys with off road experience that knows our trucks who can recommend companies and products that will make my 2014 1500 Silverado off road worthy.

A little about the truck now, it will feature an 8” suspension lift with 35-37” tires, on board Viair system, full off road 3/16 bumpers, ton of lighting, traction bars, doing headers, exhaust, cold air and custom program.

So any direction from there will be great guys! I’ll be sure to post the videos of the build on here for you all as well.

There are so many unknowns in your situation but I'll give a little advice that I received in 1978 when moving from Vancouver to Northern BC.  "See what the locals use".  (I  learned all by myself that you don't detail your truck prior to driving close to 300 miles of unpaved highway!)   In the 80's I spent four years in Northern Alberta and I know the gumbo roads you may be facing.  I would call around to centers like Slave Lake or High Prairie to hear what tires and mods are popular.  If nothing else, always be prepared to look after yourself overnight in below freezing conditions.  If you or your vehicle breakdown, all the modifications you can dream of may not help.  In the 90's four of us were winter driving on logging roads to a remote village on Vancouver Island.  We slid off the road down a steep embankment.  4x4, chains, bumpers etc. were useless.  (We crawled up to safety and were lucky a hydro vehicle was checking lines so our wait for help was only a couple of hours)

• Like 1

Severe roads....I'd be upgrading to a 2500hd to start. If bent on the 1500, I'd be upgrading to a 10.5AAM full floater and a SAS to a D60f. I have little faith in a IFS in really severe duty (too many things to fail like CV boots, bushings, etc.).

Personally, I'd start with an older truck and build that...something already solid axle, 3/4 ton, with axles that you can lock without worry.

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

• Like 1

I’m going to go with the 4.56 gears for sure.

I’m looking at adding in the air lockers.

I want to stay with Yukon parts in all that I can if possible.

Any recommendations from them?

Yukon is now on board.

What are your thoughts on upgrading my gears? With going up and adding 35’s; think I should go up from 3.42 gears on my 6 speed?

Also - anyone ever install a zip locker on their diffs?
Avoid any "lunchbox locker"...full carrier or nothing...

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

• Like 1

Just got confirmation from Yukon - here’s what I’m going with for diff upgrading on my Build. Will run with 4.56 gears with the 35 tires.

Any other suspension / drive terrain components you guys recommend I upgrade? Again, all input is welcome for this build!

9c77dd73140db127e168f16ca041e901.jpg

8e54acff58b20ee456c75ac7f78f53a0.jpg

39f052ddc0e27d2fc468276688198bdb.jpg

b135864704833cb6ca3c960ab15a7411.jpg

• 1 month later...