Truck rides better with weight in the bed

2014 Sierra SLT, Bilstein level with 5100s all around, 33" tires.

I was carrying some flooring and couple cabinets yesterday and again i noticed how nice the ride was with some weight in the back. 

My ride is already better with 5100s but it rides better with weight.

Has anyone tried carrying 2 sandbags, maybe 200lb total for an extended period of time, wondering about gas mileage. Imagining it cant hurt it that bad.

Whats your experience?

I was carrying some flooring and couple cabinets yesterday and again i noticed how nice the ride was with some weight in the back. 
Has anyone tried carrying 2 sandbags, maybe 200lb total for an extended period of time, wondering about gas mileage. Imagining it cant hurt it that bad.
Whats your experience?

I tested this!! My gas mileage went down and it didn’t ride that much different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaf springs always have..  The rear springs have a load so they glide better down the road.

Trucks springs are set to carry a heavy load so they are stiff when you have no load.

Don't worry if you over load and get on the bump stops you will have no rear suspension ha ha.

I agree that adding weight to the rear seems to give a nicer ride.  My canopy and tool box add a couple of hundred lbs over stock.  However, I doubt that I'd add any unnecessary weight like sandbags to achieve this perceived nicer ride!

• Like 1

Whats your experience?

I’ve got two I estimate to be 60lb each in there right now left over from the winter. Rides marginally better. I do notice more leaf spring slap over bumps as the main springs are closer to the overload springs due to the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who would have thought a trucks suspension is designed to carry weight! Try driving an empty 2500, then compare to a loaded one, night and day. I want to pull a trailer with the 3/4 tons just so they don't ride like lumber wagons.