Service Trailer Brake System Problem

Well I must say I am very disappointed in my new 2017 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab. It has approx. 6000km  on it currently. It was bought new in Oct. 2017 when I traded in my 2015 Chev Silverado Crew Cab. I have been getting the Service Trailer Brake System warning since I got it..even though there is NO trailer connected. I took it into the dealer about 2 months ago as the buzzing and constant display became totally unbearable. The engine (5.3) had also begun to start to run rough and the message would not clear at all nor would the warning buzzer stop.

I had taken the truck into the Dealer and they had it for 2 days stating they had reprogrammed something but were waiting for a part (module)

Well the Dealer has now had the truck for over a month and are now stating they changed one (module) part and that did not fix the problem and now they are waiting for a chasis control module which they believe may be the problem but is back ordered. Looks like this is a big problem for GM.

I must say this has caused me to lose faith in my new vehicle..has anyone had this problem CORRECTED???

THANKS!

Well further to this..I have spoken with the Dealer Principle, who I won't name, as the cause of the problem is NOT the dealership but GM. The dealership has been waiting for the part. I can't  believe GM manufacturers these vehicles and does not have a supply of spare parts available to repair them.

Come on GM, if you want people to buy your vehicles you need to have parts available to fix them!!! 

I have always been a Chev/GMC customer but when my neighbor who has a Toyota truck is laughing at my delema I must say I am wavering.

Sounds like a grounding issue. The module could fix it, but most likely it won't change anything. They replaced multiple modules on my truck but my issues weren't corrected until they found a bad ground (it was the negative battery terminal and the ground wire running to the frame). My electrical issues were more sever, so it is likely a different ground since you are mainly having screen issues with the service trailer brake system. I was receiving service trailer brake, 4wd, etc messages daily.

I have been strongly considering a Toyota due to all of the issues I have had with my truck, but I just feel the interior and features of the Toyota are lacking when compared to GM. Plus my brother's Tundra with a lift has had some serious suspension issues. To be fair those issues could be from a cheap lift (not sure what lift he has) or improper installation.

Thanks for the info Adam, but they seem to think it's this module. Looking at the supply and demand for this part I am tending to think that it is. It also makes me wonder if Dealers are aware of it as it appears that the Dealers who have this module don't want to give it up. I was told that 2 Dealers who each have one want to keep it for their customers.

I guess that the only way I will see if its the module will be after they get it..if it doesn't work, I will be asking them to check the grounds.

Don't think I would find one locally and I wouldn't want to do anything that would give anyone a reason to VOID the warranty. I have also been told..you have a rented vehicle, whats the problem..lol. The problem is its not the vehicle I bought and own! Besides the fact that I am losing out on the free 6 months of Sirius and Onstar/Internet. I have been unable to use the vehicle since the 16th Feb. And I bought it new the end of October 2017

I notice you are in the USA, at least you have a Lemon Law, that's forces them to replace the vehicle after so many days. In Canada we don't have such a rule.

Do you know the part number?  I have had my truck in every winter since I bought it in 2015 for this issue and nothing can ever be done because it's not occuring in person for them to read a code.  I tried to read a code in hptuners but haven't been able to capture it in time since it either doesn't store or clears after it leaves the screen.  it occurs only when it's cold out, and I'm going to start taking apart the trailer system starting at the very back.  

Don't think I would find one locally and I wouldn't want to do anything that would give anyone a reason to VOID the warranty. I have also been told..you have a rented vehicle, whats the problem..lol. The problem is its not the vehicle I bought and own! Besides the fact that I am losing out on the free 6 months of Sirius and Onstar/Internet. I have been unable to use the vehicle since the 16th Feb. And I bought it new the end of October 2017

I notice you are in the USA, at least you have a Lemon Law, that's forces them to replace the vehicle after so many days. In Canada we don't have such a rule.

I don't have the part number yet but when I do get it I will post it for you. May be the place for you to start. 

Still waiting for that part for my truck and it's still laid up...cant say I am pleased!!!

Best part of this is I haven't heard a word from GM, even to say what action they are taking to get my truck repaired or obtain the part. I am contemplating going to the Media but don't want to hurt the local dealerships business as they have been great.

Well the saga may be coming to an end. They tell me they have the part and it has been installed. They are going to hang onto the truck for a day to see if this has repaired the problem..we will see! Hopefully this will have fixed the vehicle.

GM needs to step up and compensate you. It doesn't matter if they gave you a rental, it is not your truck and you are still making the monthly payment that you are not enjoying. They need to extend xm radio, onstar, your monthly payment and what ever else you lost out on. Good luck and I hope your truck is fixed.

On 4/23/2018 at 4:31 PM, Fsoldier said:

Besides the fact that I am losing out on the free 6 months of Sirius and Onstar/Internet.

After you get your truck back contact GM Corporate and explain this to them. Many U.S. customers have received 6months to a year of free XM and/or OnStar as a good faith gesture from GM and really why not it’s not like it’s costing GM much of anything.

They called from the Dealership and my truck is ready..I picked it up today and it is in my driveway, finally!

Well I spoke with the Service Manager about the loss of use of my OnStar and Sirius radio for over two (2) months and he totally agreed with me but stated there was nothing he could do. He suggested I call GM Canada, which I did...

Well guys this has been my third call to GM Canada with no success. They take my information and state they will have a senior Ambassador call me back which NEVER happens. Today they were going to transfer me to someone and click disconnected (LOL)  with no return call.

I don't think I'm going to give up this time as WFORREST08 advises..I think my next plan of action will be a written letter to GM Corporate both Canada and US.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. 

JSTEV4610...I didn't forget about you..the part number is..module AR 047200, also connector AR 025300 (hopefully this helps you out too)

• 3 months later...

GM Canada has been a nightmare for us, after having a failed lifter at 30000K, blamed us for the failure and denied warranty coverage. We get the service trailer brake message sometimes, It's pretty infrequent (2015 Silverado) A friend of mine also gets the message (2015 Sierra). This will be our last GM vehicle.