Replacing Shocks with Bilstein 5100's

I have a 2014 Sierra 1500. I am due for new tires so I am going to go a size bigger and keep the stock rims (265/65r18 to 275/65/r18). Before I do this, I plan on changing out all of the shocks and installing the bilstein 5100's. I figured this was the best option for ride quality, while still being able to add a little extra height to the truck without putting too much stress on any other parts. My question is, has anyone set the front shocks to the height setting (is there any downside to this?) and then the rear to the highest setting (1"). If so, can does this still create enough rake to give the truck a leveled look when pulling a trailer? I dont like the nose high look. 

Looking for any recommendations on what i should set the shocks to in order to achieve more height on the truck, but be able to tow without the nose being higher than the back. Include pictures if you have them!

I am also assuming i should get an alignment after installing the shocks and new tires right? 

Thanks, 

Ted

I have a 2014 Sierra 1500. I am due for new tires so I am going to go a size bigger and keep the stock rims (265/65r18 to 275/65/r18). Before I do this, I plan on changing out all of the shocks and installing the bilstein 5100's. I figured this was the best option for ride quality, while still being able to add a little extra height to the truck without putting too much stress on any other parts. My question is, has anyone set the front shocks to the height setting (is there any downside to this?) and then the rear to the highest setting (1"). If so, can does this still create enough rake to give the truck a leveled look when pulling a trailer? I dont like the nose high look. 

Looking for any recommendations on what i should set the shocks to in order to achieve more height on the truck, but be able to tow without the nose being higher than the back. Include pictures if you have them!

I am also assuming i should get an alignment after installing the shocks and new tires right? 

Thanks, 

Ted

Only the front can be set. There are several notches, with the bottom being 0” and the top giving 1.85” of front lift. In order to raise the rear you would need new blocks. Or look into products such as helper springs or airbags to prevent the rear from sagging.

Alignment is necessary when the front is adjusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Bushleaguechew said:

Only the front can be set. There are several notches, with the bottom being 0” and the top giving 1.85” of front lift. In order to raise the rear you would need new blocks. Or look into products such as helper springs or airbags to prevent the rear from sagging.

Alignment is necessary when the front is adjusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the product description it said the rear can be raised up to 1". Is that not true? 

18 minutes ago, tlowery33 said:

On the product description it said the rear can be raised up to 1". Is that not true? 

Yes but you'll need to swap out your rear leaf blocks to a 2.25" setup. I have this same setup on my '15 all terrain 4x4 running 275/60R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, ride comfort is improved w/ the taller sidewall, the suspension will feel firmer w/ the front shocks @ top setting & the rears w/ the extra 1" block, but IMO not in a bad way. Handling, body roll, & ability to keep the rear from skipping around during mid corner bumps for instance is all much improved. I have had these on for 40,000 of my 50,500 miles on the truck & honestly they feel/perform exactly the same as when I first installed them - by comparison the stock ranchos were essentially completely shot after 10-11k miles.

I keep the tires @ 44psi front & 42 rear, total increase in height is like just under 3" for me, so not sure if that 1.87" max increase is 100% accurate or not my truck seemed to have gained maybe closer to 2.25" + the added sidewall height.

This is a no-brainer mod, do it you will have no regrets & the truck will actually look like a 4 wheel drive truck, & you'll actually be able to handle some potholes I HATE that the GM trucks ride so low from the factory & come w/ 275/55/R20's - the newer ones seem even worse especially w/ the air dam in place - I removed mine looks better & helps accentuate the added height. There was virtually no change in MPG's from what I can tell....however if you are mounting a 10 ply LT rated tire that will be a different story.

2 hours ago, tlowery33 said:

This means that the shock is built to work with an extra 1" of stroke length, or suspension height.  The shock itself is not adjustable, only the front.

Edited by Kubs
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kubs said:

This means that the shock is built to work with an 1" of stroke length, or suspension height.  The shock itself is not adjustable, only the front.

Ok thanks for clearing that up. What what you recommend i set the front to in order to lift the truck but still leave a little rake when towing so the nose isnt sticking up too high? 

28 minutes ago, crushNchowda said:

Yes but you'll need to swap out your rear leaf blocks to a 2.25" setup. I have this same setup on my '15 all terrain 4x4 running 275/60R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, ride comfort is improved w/ the taller sidewall, the suspension will feel firmer w/ the front shocks @ top setting & the rears w/ the extra 1" block, but IMO not in a bad way. Handling, body roll, & ability to keep the rear from skipping around during mid corner bumps for instance is all much improved. I have had these on for 40,000 of my 50,500 miles on the truck & honestly they feel/perform exactly the same as when I first installed them - by comparison the stock ranchos were essentially completely shot after 10-11k miles.

I keep the tires @ 44psi front & 42 rear, total increase in height is like just under 3" for me, so not sure if that 1.87" max increase is 100% accurate or not my truck seemed to have gained maybe closer to 2.25" + the added sidewall height.

This is a no-brainer mod, do it you will have no regrets & the truck will actually look like a 4 wheel drive truck, & you'll actually be able to handle some potholes I HATE that the GM trucks ride so low from the factory & come w/ 275/55/R20's - the newer ones seem even worse especially w/ the air dam in place - I removed mine looks better & helps accentuate the added height. There was virtually no change in MPG's from what I can tell....however if you are mounting a 10 ply LT rated tire that will be a different story.

Thanks a lot! That is exactly what I was looking for. Do you have any pics you can send? I also feel the same way with the stock ranchos and front being so low. I plan on removing the air dam as well. 

what brand did you use for the rear 2.25" leaf block? Stupid question but what size is the stock block? 1.25"? 

Thanks a lot! That is exactly what I was looking for. Do you have any pics you can send? I also feel the same way with the stock ranchos and front being so low. I plan on removing the air dam as well. 

what brand did you use for the rear 2.25" leaf block? Stupid question but what size is the stock block? 1.25"? 

1.85” will still leave you a little rake, but any decently heavy trailer with squat you. Stock blocks are 1.25, If you put in the 2.25” block combined with the 1.85 shock, larger tires, and air dam removal you should get exactly what your looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Bushleaguechew said:

1.85” will still leave you a little rake, but any decently heavy trailer with squat you. Stock blocks are 1.25, If you put in the 2.25” block combined with the 1.85 shock, larger tires, and air dam removal you should get exactly what your looking for.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I just ordered tires (nitto Terra grapplers) just one size larger (275/65r18). Also ordered the bilsteins yesterday so hopefully by next weekend I’ll have those on along with the new tires and I will remove the air damn. I’ll have to had a new block in the back, I seen a 2” block from rough country, would that work? Or do you have any suggested brand to check out? How’s the ride quality with this set up?

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I just ordered tires (nitto Terra grapplers) just one size larger (275/65r18). Also ordered the bilsteins yesterday so hopefully by next weekend I’ll have those on along with the new tires and I will remove the air damn. I’ll have to had a new block in the back, I seen a 2” block from rough country, would that work? Or do you have any suggested brand to check out? How’s the ride quality with this set up?

2” Blocks don’t change ride quality in any meaningful way. Company doesn’t really matter too much it’s just a hunt of steel.

On 4/15/2018 at 8:45 AM, Boardmember said:

I’m interested in what four 5100s for our trucks cost.   Installation too.

I got the 5100's for all four corners from fourwheelparts.com for $335 with free shipping. As far as installation I am not sure, I am doing it myself when they come. That is something I am sure you can find out by calling a local shop that does suspension and explaining what you want to do. 

4 new 5100 Bilstein shocks will set you back in the $310-$350 range YMMV.

If you are concerned about the rear of the truck squatting while towing just have them set the front shocks at 2nd setting.  Do not have them install any rear blocks or it will still look "tail" high.  

Good luck and post up some pictures of your truck once it has new tires and level.

On 4/12/2018 at 1:01 PM, tlowery33 said:

See attached (the wheels are granite alloy 20" similar size to stock wheels) the stock blocks are 1.25" the replacements are 2.25" I think I got them from ready lift or something - there are a number of vendors that make them. Has some rake to it, doesn't ride w/ a sagging rear even w/ max payload in bed FWIW.

nitto2.png

nitto3.png

nittos11.png