Insight on 2018 Sierra Purchase

I’m about to pull the trigger on a Sierra SLT w/ Premium Plus package and I wanted to pose a few questions:

The rebates have gotten progressively better over the past few months. Do you think the rebates will get better? There’s a lot of inventory at the moment (at least compared to January) and rebates are pretty high these days. From my experience, dealerships aren’t willing to come off of the rebated price.

2. I’ve been reading a lot about the difference in fuel economy between the 6 and 8 speeds. When I test drove it, the sticker said the total fuel economy was 17 for the 8 speed and 18 for the 6 speed. Is the 8 speed really less efficient? I liked the feel of both and both would do well for what I'm after. I tow a 6500 lb boat but its never too far and both trucks would do fine.

3. I’m making this purchase off the assumption that the 2019 Sierra is going to be significantly more expensive and would have few rebates, at least for the first ~6 months…would you agree with this assumption? If I can get a fully loaded SLT in the low 40s, what is the likelihood that the 2019 will be similarly priced? My logic is no...but wanted to get some second opinions!

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

I’m about to pull the trigger on a Sierra SLT w/ Premium Plus package and I wanted to pose a few questions:

The rebates have gotten progressively better over the past few months. Do you think the rebates will get better? There’s a lot of inventory at the moment (at least compared to January) and rebates are pretty high these days. From my experience, dealerships aren’t willing to come off of the rebated price.
2. I’ve been reading a lot about the difference in fuel economy between the 6 and 8 speeds. When I test drove it, the sticker said the total fuel economy was 17 for the 8 speed and 18 for the 6 speed. Is the 8 speed really less efficient? I liked the feel of both and both would do well for what I'm after. I tow a 6500 lb boat but its never too far and both trucks would do fine.

3. I’m making this purchase off the assumption that the 2019 Sierra is going to be significantly more expensive and would have few rebates, at least for the first ~6 months…would you agree with this assumption? If I can get a fully loaded SLT in the low 40s, what is the likelihood that the 2019 will be similarly priced? My logic is no...but wanted to get some second opinions!

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

You’re absolutely correct! I did the same, purchased an SLT Pwemium package completely loaded out with every option available. I’ve got the 18 Summit White w/ Black interior SLT, 6.2L Z71 4X4 CrewCab. You did really good cause the new ones will be selling above MSRP cause everyone ready to trade in will be racing for them. Let them be the Guinea pigs giving GM approx 3 Years to workout the kinks while you’re driving a tried/proven engine and drive train. I’ve always bought the last year of every model just for that reason. f0e76d726d22a307c7eec24d3b667b61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a 2” front 1” rear billet aluminum leveling kit on my truck because it won’t void warranty as you’ll have better ground clearance and if you want larger wheel and tire setup.

1 hour ago, Begester said:

1. The rebates have gotten progressively better over the past few months. Do you think the rebates will get better? 

3. I’m making this purchase off the assumption that the 2019 Sierra is going to be significantly more expensive and would have few rebates, at least for the first ~6 months…would you agree with this assumption?

The prices tend to be slightly better toward the end of the model year, so you are correct in that assumption.

I bought mine brand new at the end of June, the new models start showing up around September, so theoretically now through summer is you best price period on a brand new 2018.

But the sales gimmick is always to tell you that the current deal is the best thing ever. It seems that every month brings a different promotion, but your out the door price doesn't really change that much. They just change from 'factory rebates', to 'cash allowances', to 'red tag', etc. Just check around online to know that you are getting the best price you can get. Ask other dealers to quote you on the exact same model.

You should be able to buy a new vehicle for around 15-20% below MSRP, before tax.

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

You’re absolutely correct! I did the same, purchased an SLT Pwemium package completely loaded out with every option available. I’ve got the 18 Summit White w/ Black interior SLT, 6.2L Z71 4X4 CrewCab. You did really good cause the new ones will be selling above MSRP cause everyone ready to trade in will be racing for them. Let them be the Guinea pigs giving GM approx 3 Years to workout the kinks while you’re driving a tried/proven engine and drive train. I’ve always bought the last year of every model just for that reason.

The new ones definitely won't be selling above MSRP. I don't think the discounts will be as much as they are right now, but you will still be able to buy one below invoice. Look at the new Wrangler JL, you could find hundreds of dealers selling at or below invoice. You will be able to get a 2019 truck at or below invoice. With that being said I imagine price will jump a couple thousand or more for the 19 model year.

If your open to pretty much any truck the rebates will get much better as most buyers will want the 2019's. Once ordering opens up for the 19s you will see even bigger rebates. If you like me and want a very specific truck that there are less then 4 or 5 in the US then it might not be worth waiting. I have bought 4 or 5 new GM vehicles and I almost always get them in Dec. I have seen $11,000 back of sticker on $40,000 trucks if your willing to wait. 

29 minutes ago, adamj2121 said:

The new ones definitely won't be selling above MSRP. I don't think the discounts will be as much as they are right now, but you will still be able to buy one below invoice. Look at the new Wrangler JL, you could find hundreds of dealers selling at or below invoice. You will be able to get a 2019 truck at or below invoice. With that being said I imagine price will jump a couple thousand or more for the 19 model year.

That depends on the model. Only the 4 door has any rebates right now. Several dealers are holding to sticker for loaded regular cabs. 

The main thing is go the last few days of the month.  They have quota's to meet. If they don't deal this month, they might next month.  Search online for the cheapest price nation wide on the truck you want, and make them match the price. 

It took me 2 months to find a dealer willing to match price with one they had in stock.  Have some patience and be willing to walk away from it.

It will void certain parts of your warranty related to what that level impacts.

Every option huh? I see a few things missing just from the pic...

Tyler

Let me guess, auto slide out steps? Lol

It will void certain parts of your warranty related to what that level impacts.

Every option huh? I see a few things missing just from the pic...

Tyler

The local gmc dealer is one of my sponsors and told me as long as I do not do anything taller or lift kit I’ll be fine

You don’t compare a GMC truck, one that is built Professional Grade [emoji6] to a crap built Jeep, seriously [emoji23]

3 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

You don’t compare a GMC truck, one that is built Professional Grade emoji6.png to a crap built Jeep, seriously emoji23.png

I'd say there was far more hype for the new Wrangler than there will be for a refreshed GMC, regardless of build quality that is just how it is. I also can't say I'm too impressed with the build quality of my Silverado. And before you try to say differently, GMCs and Chevys are built by the same people in the same plants so the quality is the same.

1 hour ago, frenchsquared said:

That depends on the model. Only the 4 door has any rebates right now. Several dealers are holding to sticker for loaded regular cabs. 

True, if you find a volume dealer or a local dealer that thinks they will make money from maintenance and such things you can get a discount on a rc. But it is very hard to find a nice regular cab with rebates anywhere close to a dc or cc, you can get a nicely equipped dc for less than a wt rc at most dealers. If i didn't need the extra interior space I would totally be in the market for a rcsb 

I'd say there was far more hype for the new Wrangler than there will be for a refreshed GMC, regardless of build quality that is just how it is. I also can't say I'm too impressed with the build quality of my Silverado. And before you try to say differently, GMCs and Chevys are built by the same people in the same plants so the quality is the same.

I do believe everyone is entitled to their opinion but please do not even compare a Jeep pc of crap to a GMC vehicle, especially on GM forum. I shipped a 4Door loaded out Jeep over seas and needed parts replacement shipped literally every month. The GM trucks are jacked up and kicking ass on the islands without issues for years aside of normal maintenance. Jeeps are considered low end cheap 4x4s you tow behind an RV

Archived