2016 GMC Sierra All Terrain SLE Vs SLT

Hey Guys, new to the forums here but been lurking for a while since I knew I was going to be making the switch to a truck shortly.  

The time has come, sold other vehicle privately and now need to purchase a truck.  I have settled on a 2016 or 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrain but just wanted some additional input from everyone here on the SLE vs SLT.  I have read the thread on the difference on the '14s but wanted to see if there is anything additional I should know for the 16s and 17s?

It appears that looking used I can get a SLE for about 5K less than an SLT so I am on the fence if I should really be pushing for a SLT or go with SLE.  There is an SLE in my price range available right now not far from me but wanted to get some opinions of everyone here.  I know the SLT would give me full leather, front park assist and most I have seen have the upgraded 20" wheels.  Are there any real major differences between the 2?  Is there anything that if I went with the SLE I would really be disappointed I wouldn't have?  What is everyones opinion on the seats in the SLE, I read in the other thread there were some concerns on how they were holding up?

Any/all help is appreciated thank you!

Be careful with the SLT trims.  There is the regular SLT and the SLT with the Premium Plus package.    The Premium Plus package is the bees knees - best LED lighting I've ever had, and that includes the parking sensors, cooled seats, Nav, 20" wheels, etc.    Base SLT trim is just leathers and LED rear tail lights (for the most part, too much to list).

I am uncertain if the SLE has the smaller radio screen. If it does, you'll be disappointed.  The bigger screen in SLTs are a ton better. 

More details here for the '16: http://media.gmc.com/media/us/en/gmc/vehicles/sierra/2016.html

Edited by Robopie

You can find a loaded SLE or a plain SLT and it will be a hard choice. (I have an SLE that came with full leather and the bigger screen.)  When looking for a new or used truck I look for the one with features that I want, will use and enjoy.  I also wouldn't restrict myself to packages like the "all terrain" but certainly could be used as a deciding factor.  GM doesn't produce oddly optioned 1/2 tons and they are all good trucks for fun and work.  Welcome to this forum and good luck with your search!

3 hours ago, ecrouch said:

Hey Guys, new to the forums here but been lurking for a while since I knew I was going to be making the switch to a truck shortly.  

The time has come, sold other vehicle privately and now need to purchase a truck.  I have settled on a 2016 or 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrain but just wanted some additional input from everyone here on the SLE vs SLT.  I have read the thread on the difference on the '14s but wanted to see if there is anything additional I should know for the 16s and 17s?

It appears that looking used I can get a SLE for about 5K less than an SLT so I am on the fence if I should really be pushing for a SLT or go with SLE.  There is an SLE in my price range available right now not far from me but wanted to get some opinions of everyone here.  I know the SLT would give me full leather, front park assist and most I have seen have the upgraded 20" wheels.  Are there any real major differences between the 2?  Is there anything that if I went with the SLE I would really be disappointed I wouldn't have?  What is everyones opinion on the seats in the SLE, I read in the other thread there were some concerns on how they were holding up?

Any/all help is appreciated thank you!

IMO, you're better off to create a list of 'must haves' of what you really want in a truck.

Once you have that list created, buy whichever truck checks all the boxes at the right price. Without a list like that, it's easy to overlook things accidently, or end up paying up for stuff you don't want/need.

For example; Before I bought my current truck, I created this 'must have' list & found one that checked almost all the boxes at a very good price. The items missing were quoted and added by the dealer, so all the boxes ended up getting checked:

• 4x4 (Kodiak ?) SLE or SLT
  • Red, white or silver in colour
  • Double cab
  • Power windows
  • Power locks
  • Power mirrors
  • Heated mirrors and rear window
  • Intermittent wipers
  • A/C
  • Cruise
  • Tilt & telescoping wheel
  • power drivers seat
  • 2 12v power ports
  • 110v power port
  • USB ports
  • Auto dimming center mirror
  • Compass & outside temp
  • DIC with real time mileage etc.
  • Running/step boards
  • rear camera
  • 8" display screen
  • box liner-plastic or spray-in
  • 5.3 liter
  • 3.08 or 3.42 rear
  • Tow package with brake controller
  • Black or dark grey interior - cloth
  • 40/20/40 front seat
  • keyless entry
  • Aluminum rims 17 or 18"
  • Splash guards
  • recovery hooks
  • locking rear diff.
  • 4 movable upper cargo tie downs 

34 minutes ago, Nanotech Environmental said:

IMO, you're better off to create a list of 'must haves' of what you really want in a truck.

Once you have that list created, buy whichever truck checks all the boxes at the right price. Without a list like that, it's easy to overlook things accidently, or end up paying up for stuff you don't want/need.

For example; Before I bought my current truck, I created this 'must have' list & found one that checked almost all the boxes at a very good price. The items missing were quoted and added by the dealer, so all the boxes ended up getting checked:

• 4x4 (Kodiak ?) SLE or SLT
  • Red, white or silver in colour
  • Double cab
  • Power windows
  • Power locks
  • Power mirrors
  • Heated mirrors and rear window
  • Intermittent wipers
  • A/C
  • Cruise
  • Tilt & telescoping wheel
  • power drivers seat
  • 2 12v power ports
  • 110v power port
  • USB ports
  • Auto dimming center mirror
  • Compass & outside temp
  • DIC with real time mileage etc.
  • Running/step boards
  • rear camera
  • 8" display screen
  • box liner-plastic or spray-in
  • 5.3 liter
  • 3.08 or 3.42 rear
  • Tow package with brake controller
  • Black or dark grey interior - cloth
  • 40/20/40 front seat
  • keyless entry
  • Aluminum rims 17 or 18"
  • Splash guards
  • recovery hooks
  • locking rear diff.
  • 4 movable upper cargo tie downs 

If you found my truck with this list it would check most off of your "must haves".  The Kodiak package was a really nice bonus on an SLE.  The major reason you would have probably passed on my truck is because it has the 4.3 with the 3.42.  However this combination was my #1 "must have".  

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

If you found my truck with this list it would check most off of your "must haves".  The Kodiak package was a really nice bonus on an SLE.  The major reason you would have probably passed on my truck is because it has the 4.3 with the 3.42.  However this combination was my #1 "must have".  

Yep. If it had everthing else, but had a 4.3 instead of the 5.3, I would have passed. I had a 5.3 before in my old 06 & wanted the increased power of the new one. I quite like the 5.3 that came with this truck.

Edited by Nanotech Environmental

For me I think the SLE touches all basis of my need/want category the only question mark I have is the seats.  I had planned to go full leather but looking at the SLE seats I don't mind them I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Need/Wants

Heated Seats

Power Seats

Apple Car Play 

Front bucket Seats

Body Colored Bumpers.

4 hours ago, Robopie said:

Be careful with the SLT trims.  There is the regular SLT and the SLT with the Premium Plus package.    The Premium Plus package is the bees knees - best LED lighting I've ever had, and that includes the parking sensors, cooled seats, Nav, 20" wheels, etc.    Base SLT trim is just leathers and LED rear tail lights (for the most part, too much to list).

I am uncertain if the SLE has the smaller radio screen. If it does, you'll be disappointed.  The bigger screen in SLTs are a ton better. 

More details here for the '16: http://media.gmc.com/media/us/en/gmc/vehicles/sierra/2016.html

Yes, it is the bees knees!  I can't drive wife's car now because the headlights don't even compare to this ROAD PRINCESSES!  Absolutely love driving the truck it would probably be 100% perfect if it had LARGE SUNGLASSES HOLDER, REAR HVAC VENTS, 6.2L STANDARD......Not that I need the power?  Oh, my 55K lifetime is 19.9mpg's  Crazy great truck!

1 hour ago, ecrouch said:

For me I think the SLE touches all basis of my need/want category the only question mark I have is the seats.  I had planned to go full leather but looking at the SLE seats I don't mind them I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Need/Wants

Heated Seats

Power Seats

Apple Car Play 

Front bucket Seats

Body Colored Bumpers.

I think you will be happy with the SLE. My wants were basically the same as yours and I bought an LT with console, the 8" screen, dual power seats w/heat. The seats were cloth but the dealer upgraded to Katzkin leather and I much prefer it over the standard GM leather, it is softer and more supple. Plus, you can customize it if you want.

32 minutes ago, adamj2121 said:

I think you will be happy with the SLE. My wants were basically the same as yours and I bought an LT with console, the 8" screen, dual power seats w/heat. The seats were cloth but the dealer upgraded to Katzkin leather and I much prefer it over the standard GM leather, it is softer and more supple. Plus, you can customize it if you want.

What did it cost to upgrade seats to leather by dealer? 

I was in the same position as you and I looked for months. Dead set on the all terrain package (I wanted all terrain due to the interior style, wheels, gauge cluster, etc)

I searched and searched and finally just purchased mine a couple days ago.. 2017 SLT for $33,700 crew cab. I used car gurus and auto trader and searched specific words “ all terrain”

if you you don’t mind me asking, what is your budget? I’ll keep an eye out