Front Collion Alert does not work 2018 GMC

anyone having problems with front collision alert in 2018 Sierra 1/2 ton? just bought one and it does not work and took to dealer he said it works you just have to almost kill someone before the red light or vibrate seat or brake applies. I have had never seen the red light or seat vibrate when closing fast on a vehicle and today it went off with no one in front of me so I now know what it looks like and feels like but it definite is not right disappointing to spend that much on new truck that the safety feature is uselss

Not sure what they changed for 2018 but I have actually been quite impressed with the system so far on this 2017 Denali Ultimate. The only time it goes off is if you approach quickly without hitting your brakes once you touch the brake, it is off and will not alert. I would say that I have seen it and felt the seat vibrate 2 dozen times in a year and it does get your attention. I have never seen it go off in a situation where there was not a need?Check your upper windshield area at the forward facing camera by the rear-view mirror to make sure it is clean. Maybe your pet seagull is taking a crap in that area? If it is clean then you might have an issue with this 2018 truck that needs dealer attention.   

Mine went off the other day at 60 mph with nothing in front of me. Only time Ive ever seen it alert. I've wondered how one might safely go about testing this feature.

I went through the same thing when I first bought my 2014. Try as you may, it won't go off if you do it intentionally. Software looks at how fast you are closing to the vehicle in front of you. If you creep up slowly, you can kiss the bumper of the vehicle in front of you without it going off. If you are on the brake it won't go off either. It has to think you are unaware of what is happening. Try speeding up and closing on a vehicle in a high speed "coast". That will make it go off!

Also, if it isn't functioning properly, it won't allow the Lane Departure Warning (or Lane Keep Assist in your 2018) switch to illuminate - has some sort of self check system in it.

Edited by Cheverado

It literally saved my @ss two days after I picked up my truck. I was distracted with messing around with different settings and the warning went off and it applied the brakes. I would have rear ended the guy.