2018 GMC Front Collision Alert not working

anyone having problems with front collision alert in 2018 Sierra 1/2 ton? just bought one and it does not work and took to dealer he said it works you just have to almost kill someone before the red light or vibrate seat or brake applies. I have had never seen the red light or seat vibrate when closing fast on a vehicle and today it went off with no one in front of me so I now know what it looks like and feels like but it definite is not right disappointing to spend that much on new truck that the safety feature is uselss

• Like 1

anyone having problems with front collision alert in 2018 Sierra 1/2 ton? just bought one and it does not work and took to dealer he said it works you just have to almost kill someone before the red light or vibrate seat or brake applies. I have had never seen the red light or seat vibrate when closing fast on a vehicle and today it went off with no one in front of me so I now know what it looks like and feels like but it definite is not right disappointing to spend that much on new truck that the safety feature is uselss
My 2018 Silverado 1/2 ton also has issues with the front collision allert system since the day I drove it home from the dealer even with it turned off it still goes off unexpectedly. Plan on having it checked out when I have my first oil change.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Set up a card board cut out if you want to really test. That’s how Volvo demonstrated it to us. I believe there’s a limit as to how fast you can go for it to kick in. On my wife’s Volvo, it’ll only activate under 25/30 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a utube it is suppose come on before your so close I think am going to try another dealership but disappointing from going from Ford to GMC truck and I have an infinity and  it works perfect and had a buick that it worked but not the 2018 GMC truck!

What setting do you have it set at? Mine works like I assume it should.

Forward Collision Alert

(FCA) System

If equipped, the FCA system may

help to avoid or reduce the harm

caused by front-end crashes. When

approaching a vehicle ahead too

quickly, FCA provides a red flashing

alert on the windshield and rapidly

beeps or pulses the driver seat.

FCA also lights an amber visual

alert if following another vehicle

much too closely.

FCA detects vehicles within a

distance of approximately 60m

(197 ft) and operates at speeds

above 40 km/h (25 mph).

{Warning

FCA is a warning system and

does not apply the brakes. When

approaching a slower-moving or

stopped vehicle ahead too rapidly,

or when following a vehicle too

closely, FCA may not provide a

warning with enough time to help

avoid a crash. It also may not

provide any warning at all. FCA

does not warn of pedestrians,

animals, signs, guardrails,

bridges, construction barrels,

or other objects. Be ready to take

action and apply the brakes. See

Defensive Driving 0 261.

FCA can be disabled with the FCA

steering wheel control.

Detecting the Vehicle Ahead

• 2 months later...

My 2017 High Country doesn't seem to work either. I'm currently having negotiations with the dealer. LOL.

The  dealer told me it's working normally so I got on a chat session with Chevrolet customer relations and they told me it wasn't and told me that contact the customer experience manager at the dealership so I did.

For what it's worth I also set up a 4-foot by 4-foot piece of cardboard, put on my seatbelt and headed straight for the cardboard. I ran right over the top of it without a single alert. I was probably doing about 15 to 20 mile an hour.

I dont get any sort of alert when I cross the center line either although the truck attempts to steer it back.

After talking to the mechanics at the dealership 90% of them don't appear to understand how it works anyway.

Thanks for confirming my is doing the same things I am going to bring this all back up on my next oil change  which coming up. For spending all that money you expect things to work  as they should 

I just upgraded from a 2017 Ultimate to a  2018 Ultimate and the collision warning system on the 2018 is NOT as sensitive. In situations where the 2017 would alarm I get nothing on the 2018................ I have double checked all settings and it is all set the same as the 2017. Surprised me a bit but I attributed it to being a year newer model. Maybe they tweaked something, or maybe each truck is a bit different? The system on the 2018 definitely works It just works a bit different. I never once saw a false alarm on the 2017 if that red led popped up and seat started shaking it was for a dang good reason and you better be paying attention.  

I also noticed that the lane centering force applied to the steering wheel is much less on this 2018. The 2017 would dang near snatch the steering wheel out of your hand LOL.   

10 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

You guys check your setting through your steering wheel controls?

If you are talking about the steering wheel button that sets the distance, I have and I leave it on the default max distance.

Dnt, my 2017 steering wheel "centering force" is barely noticeable. It works fine but is easy to overcome. That system works OK as long as you don't let it go back the other direction and hit the other line. It starts a pretty good zig zag if you do.

Based on all the reading I have done online, I don't think there are differences in model year (at least 16,17,18) but I think there is a difference in the trucks. Maybe its camera angle, etc. I have a friend that is a GM tech and he drives an 18 Z71 and he is always triggering his frontal on the highway. I have seen mine trigger one time when I was switching lanes with a dump truck in front of me.

All I know is my truck does not act like any of the chevrolet videos I see online demonstrating the product.

If you are talking about the steering wheel button that sets the distance, I have and I leave it on the default max distance.

Dnt, my 2017 steering wheel "centering force" is barely noticeable. It works fine but is easy to overcome. That system works OK as long as you don't let it go back the other direction and hit the other line. It starts a pretty good zig zag if you do.

Based on all the reading I have done online, I don't think there are differences in model year (at least 16,17,18) but I think there is a difference in the trucks. Maybe its camera angle, etc. I have a friend that is a GM tech and he drives an 18 Z71 and he is always triggering his frontal on the highway. I have seen mine trigger one time when I was switching lanes with a dump truck in front of me.

All I know is my truck does not act like any of the chevrolet videos I see online demonstrating the product.

I’m sorry to hear that, my experiences have been great, knock on wood. I’m sure you’ll get it worked out. Btw, we should make a post about the settings of Onstar being able to read your vehicle driving history. I found it while setting up personal settings. It’s like that stupid progressive plug in to see your driving habits, canceled mine out.

53 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Btw, we should make a post about the settings of Onstar being able to read your vehicle driving history. I found it while setting up personal settings. It’s like that stupid progressive plug in to see your driving habits, canceled mine out.

I guess I did not know there was a setting for that.  If I look at my app, it is filled with "Hard breaking" and "hard acceleration". Honestly, I don't care, but this reminds me of the time I took the drivers seat out of my Trailblazer SS. I was running a nitrous line to the back and I had the key on with the seat out when I wired up the nitrous controller.  On-Star called me to make sure I was OK and I just told them the truth that I was installing a 200hp shot of nitrous to fix that hesitation on throttle tip-in I had been complaining about. Thank you for the call.

Vehicles have been logging hard acceleration and speeds over XX for decades but consumers are not aware of it. Even back in the 90s I had a 93 Cadillac STS and the dealer knew it has seen speeds in the XXX range and full throttle runs. They didn't seem to care.

I guess I did not know there was a setting for that.  If I look at my app, it is filled with "Hard breaking" and "hard acceleration". Honestly, I don't care, but this reminds me of the time I took the drivers seat out of my Trailblazer SS. I was running a nitrous line to the back and I had the key on with the seat out when I wired up the nitrous controller.  On-Star called me to make sure I was OK and I just told them the truth that I was installing a 200hp shot of nitrous to fix that hesitation on throttle tip-in I had been complaining about. Thank you for the call.

Vehicles have been logging hard acceleration and speeds over XX for decades but consumers are not aware of it. Even back in the 90s I had a 93 Cadillac STS and the dealer knew it has seen speeds in the XXX range and full throttle runs. They didn't seem to care.

May be coincidental but my insurance rates went up as soon as stopped it from reporting. Progressive Ins uses a plug in to know your driving habits and in all honesty this is the one thing that pisses me off cause to much government watching and telling us what and how it is. We talk about freedom and yet so many people are extremely unaware of the life programming that’s going on all around us. Anyway, just thought that was very wrong to find it in my trucks programming especially since it wasn’t something buyers were aware of. Be safe

• 5 months later...
On 4/13/2018 at 4:11 PM, BO TIE 1 said:

My 2018 Silverado 1/2 ton also has issues with the front collision allert system since the day I drove it home from the dealer even with it turned off it still goes off unexpectedly. Plan on having it checked out when I have my first oil change.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have the same problem and plan on having it looked at. The lane departure (indicator) works 90% of the time and the vibrating seat maybe 90% of the time but only while parking and 10% when straying over a lane line (on purpose to see if it is even working). The red flashing in the windshield has worked ONE time and I wasn't that close to the car in front of me. The green indicator showing a car in front of me has a mind of its own. Sometimes it will stay green until I am literally 2 feet from it while coming to a stop, other times it disappears after I am under 20 mph and then other times goes from green to yellow as it should. I have it set at the maximum warning distance too but I've set it to the minimum and no change. The lane departure steering works every time so I know some part of the system is working. There is no way I rely on this system and I don't know if I can turn it off without disabling the lane departure which I do like simply because I'm not perfect. I have ZERO faith in the FCA system whatsoever. If I could just turn off the FCA and leave the lane departure on I would do it, maybe I can and just haven't found it yet (yes I've read the owners manual, maybe I missed it) but the damn thing is a system that even if I don't want it, it should work. My dealer gave me this song and dance about it only works when it determines a crash is eminent...not true as I almost rear-ended a small car that just decided to stop on highway 98 and try to go the other way, had to slam on the brakes and missed her by about a foot, thank God the guy behind me in the Nissan Maxima was paying attention...or maybe it was just his FCA actually working. 

Update: found out how to turn it off so I cycled it off and back on, no change. I can’t imagine it’s a software update as mine was built 08/09/2018

Edited by SS502

Bump...can anyone who might have gone through this shed some light? I hate the thought that I have to re-swap the Denali cluster back to stock just so the dealer can say it’s working when it’s not.