Electronic Rust Protection Module

Has anybody had any experience with using one of these devises. My sister in law had one installed on her new Toyota 4Runner. They claim guaranteed 10 years rust protection.

Sounds like a gimmick to me, seems as though  manufactures would include them in there vehicles if they actually worked.

Has anybody had any experience with using one of these devises. My sister in law had one installed on her new Toyota 4Runner. They claim guaranteed 10 years rust protection.
Sounds like a gimmick to me, seems as though  manufactures would include them in there vehicles if they actually worked.

Catholic protection. Used very effectively on ships and buried pipelines. Complete gimmick when used on a car, unless your car was buried in soil or being used underwater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I’ve got one in my Sierra, it was thrown in because I was requesting undercoating and they stated they no longer offered it. I did some research on it but am still sceptical. One website stated the US Navy uses them on their vessels, of course on a larger scale. My own experience I’ve found my brake rotors don’t rust. Every car I ever owned within hours of washing and sitting in the driveway, the rotors would rust. On my Sierra with this electronic rust protection my rotors have never rusted/oxidized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seen plenty of cars with them that had plenty of rust on them.  Total gimmick.  One was in yesterday, 2011 with low miles.  Rust starting on rockers, frame looked 20 years old. 

Regular washing, periodic underbody rinsing, maybe some Fluid Film or Boeshield in the important areas and that's all you really need. 

Edited by newdude

I purchased a 2014 Sierra that had a Sym-Tec system installed. It doesn’t appear to have been effective at all. The amount of rust on my frame was so excessive that it required grinding/stripping and a rust converter just to be able to treat it with POR-15. There was also rust in the interior of the vehicle around the bolts where the rear seats attach to the floor.

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone smarter than I figured out that my frame was actually acting as the “sacrificial anode” referenced above.

IMG_3727.thumb.JPG.3c7a7f5f2bba9f33067cb056a3cbc566.JPG

IMG_3832.thumb.JPG.0a158e1c5dffa1e226ca787d235dabe5.JPG

7 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

I want to remember that it's not effective because the truck is insulated from the ground...you need an earth ground and a decent anode, which are lacking in these systems.

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

x2

Check out boat outboards. The water is the ground and there is usually a zinc block attached to the drive where it is submerged. 

Well, I guess I'll have to break her heart and let her know she wasted her money. I would like to get a read of that 10 year warranty they gave her though..

17 hours ago, 300 Blackout said:

I purchased a 2014 Sierra that had a Sym-Tec system installed. It doesn’t appear to have been effective at all. The amount of rust on my frame was so excessive that it required grinding/stripping and a rust converter just to be able to treat it with POR-15. There was also rust in the interior of the vehicle around the bolts where the rear seats attach to the floor.

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone smarter than I figured out that my frame was actually acting as the “sacrificial anode” referenced above.

IMG_3727.thumb.JPG.3c7a7f5f2bba9f33067cb056a3cbc566.JPG

IMG_3832.thumb.JPG.0a158e1c5dffa1e226ca787d235dabe5.JPG

What part of the country are you in, obviously where a lot of road salt is used. I saw a 2013 Silverado a couple years ago on a dealers lot here that looked just like that. Car Fax showed it was from Ontario Canada.

DSCF3199.JPG

Edited by SSchup
add photo