Spare TCM for 8 speed tuning

I’m wanting to get my 17 Sierra 6.2l with 8 speed tuned but the only thing that has kept me from it is sending off the TCM to be unlocked. I’ve found some that claim to fit my truck on eBay but don’t want to order until I’m sure they will. The ones I have found all have the same serv# as my current TCM and are also all T87A. The picture with the numbers that are circled is of my current TCM and the other is of one I found on eBay. Would it work? They say they are new and never installed so I would have to have it flashed to my truck before being sent off if they do work. 

B592B15B-669B-4D1E-B3BF-B2DD5362B734.jpeg

8252686B-A0AC-488E-A4A6-994394517E66.png

2 hours ago, Crimson6.2L said:

I’m wanting to get my 17 Sierra 6.2l with 8 speed tuned but the only thing that has kept me from it is sending off the TCM to be unlocked. I’ve found some that claim to fit my truck on eBay but don’t want to order until I’m sure they will. The ones I have found all have the same serv# as my current TCM and are also all T87A. The picture with the numbers that are circled is of my current TCM and the other is of one I found on eBay. Would it work? They say they are new and never installed so I would have to have it flashed to my truck before being sent off if they do work. 

B592B15B-669B-4D1E-B3BF-B2DD5362B734.jpeg

8252686B-A0AC-488E-A4A6-994394517E66.png

I would call HP Tuners on Monday and ask them if it will work. They should be able to let you know before buying one.

https://www.hptuners.com/contact.php

847-465-8863

The other way to do it is get s 2016

8 spd  used TCM from a truck then it can be tuned the normal way no unlock needed by efi live or hp

Edited by CDNSS

2 hours ago, CDNSS said:

8 spd  used TCM from a truck then it can be tuned the normal way no unlock needed by efi live or hp

That is correct. You can use a 2015 - 2016.

Edited by Mileguru

4 hours ago, CDNSS said:

I’ve wondered about that but never knew it would work. That would be a lot easier and somewhat cheaper. Anyone know the part number for one? It would still have to be flashed for my truck though correct?

Edited by Crimson6.2L

I would think the spare TCM would have to be VIN matched to the truck it was going into. You may run into communications issues between the BCM, ECM, and TCCM. Additionally, there might be a problem with component protection, and the truck may not start.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, XSKIER said:

I would think the spare TCM would have to be VIN matched to the truck it was going into. You may run into communications issues between the BCM, ECM, and TCCM. Additionally, there might be a problem with component protection, and the truck may not start.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’ve spoke to HP about it and they told me that I can use a spare it would have to be flashed with my current trucks info before sent to them to be unlocked. I’ve talked to 2 separate tuners that use HP and they also have told me they can get me a spare tcm to use so that I’m not out of a truck waiting for the tcm to be sent back. 

1 hour ago, Crimson6.2L said:

I’ve spoke to HP about it and they told me that I can use a spare it would have to be flashed with my current trucks info before sent to them to be unlocked. I’ve talked to 2 separate tuners that use HP and they also have told me they can get me a spare tcm to use so that I’m not out of a truck waiting for the tcm to be sent back. 

I dont think they are right, the ECM/TCM/BCM and most of the other modules are all VIN locked to your VIN. Anytime you change out a module the vehicle has to be hooked up the GM Global network and the module updated in order for it work again.

Edited by TJay74

37 minutes ago, TJay74 said:

I dont think they are right, the ECM/TCM/BCM and most of the other modules are all VIN locked to your VIN. Anytime you change out a module the vehicle has to be hooked up the GM Global network and the module updated in order for it work again.

They’ve claimed to do it more than once. Plus I don’t understand why they would tell me to do it when it wouldn’t work. I’ll talk to them tomorrow and make sure it does work because what you said sounds completely possible.