Will the 2019 engine lineup be tunable?

Wondering if these engines will be tune-able as usual?

Currently have my 2500hd LBZ, but am I'm looking to get back into a half ton for 2019. Ideally would like a 6.2 again.. Only concern is issues with tuning them like the new L5Ps uncrackable ECM. Want either Armageddon twin turbos or a supercharger with a mild cam down the road.

If they're not, looks like I'll stick with my old truck.

Imagine a system where the dealer can not debug a transmission or apply a factory flash to debug a seat belt and you are looking at a company I wouldn't buy a little red wagon from. If it can be flashed it can be hacked and if it can't then it can be replaced. Stand alone systems are every where. It's like Ron Trock (Harley Guru) told me once about bolt holes. Don't like where they are? Move them! Thus the Shovster.  Shovel top on a Sportster bottom. AKA Trockerized. In todays world not much is impossible. Only a few things improbable. 

Rumors are a dime a dozen and great for stirring pots. Not much else. 

http://www.bankspower.com/magazine/changing-times-gms-push-make-l5p-duramax-un-crackable/

Edited by Grumpy Bear

If the rumor was true, I might consider a used truck...doubtful, I still don't trust people...

But I've seen too many horrors of the guy buying the used truck that some doofus put a programmer on, beat the snot out of the truck for 30k miles, pulled the programmer, and traded at the first hint of trouble, and the new owner has trans issues, injector problems, dropped valve seats, dusted cylinders, etc...and when brought it in for warranty work, it is denied: "you had a programmer installed, not our problem"...

That was almost a weekly occurrence on the Cummin forums when I was in that circle...

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

• Sad 1

I personally believe the old ways of tuning may be coming to an end and you'll have to rely on a "piggy-back" or in-line system which is why Banks is not cracking the L5P ECUs and is working on an in-line system himself.  I also believe it will be a while before an in-line system will be on the market but hopefully I am wrong.  There is also more pressure in the diesel world from an emissions perspective, particularly due to the bad press diesels receive hence the high-level encryption on the L5Ps.  Will the T1s receive this level of encryption?  It is highly likely, at least on the diesel's and possibly the gas engines particularly due to the new dynamic fuel management.  GM will probably want to ensure the bugs are worked out before thinking about opening up those ECUs.  Also, I've heard too many people say if you want a fast vehicle, don't buy a pickup as "that is not their purpose".  My response to those people is "what's it to you?"  GM may be more lenient on there performance cars but who can really say.  Standalone systems on today's vehicles with the heavy electronic systems is not an affordable route if you want to keep all the creature comforts, etc.  With the government meddling in areas that I don't believe they should be and putting pressure on manufacturers with all the EPA regulations, etc., I believe this is path we are headed for unfortunately. 

Never is a long time but I have been amazed with the acceptance of freedoms that people are willing to relinquish due to the perceived safety aspects, the convenience factors or that it's "for the greater good". 

• Like 1

From what I have gathered so far there is no definitive answer to your question at the moment. On the L5P side of things a research company has announced they’ve come up with a tuning solution. But that’s as much as the public knows at the moment. Even then we won’t know if it’s true until someone purchases the rights and creates tuning. The research company has stated it will require an ECM swap.

26ac6336c38e1749e0b36cced699912b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard you can't even tune an L5P Duramax without buying an unlocked ECM (the route of Mopar) so my guess is the 2019's will be locked up even more than the K2's which are bad enough. Looks like the hay-days were the LS years and we will never get back to that level. Scoop a clean GMT 8 or 9 now if you want to mod something IMO.  

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2018 at 3:36 PM, 10SierraA.T. said:

I have heard you can't even tune an L5P Duramax without buying an unlocked ECM (the route of Mopar) so my guess is the 2019's will be locked up even more than the K2's which are bad enough. Looks like the hay-days were the LS years and we will never get back to that level. Scoop a clean GMT 8 or 9 now if you want to mod something IMO.  

Or an early K2 which were easily tuned. It's hard to find a clean GMT 8 and 9's. A 14 or 15 is easy to find with low miles and GM sold at least 1.3M 14/15 K2's.

Personally I would be alright with having to go through the Mopar-style cracking if it gave full tune-ability. Mostly for the transmission tuning. With the popularity of the gen V V8's, I'm sure the aftermarket will come up with solutions for the guys willing to do some warranty voiding modifications. If the modules can communicate with outside computers, the system can be cracked. It just might require a soldering iron.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand why manufactures just go the route of if you want to tune your vehicle then go ahead and tune it.  No problem there, you will just loose your warranty.  Give us the freedom to do what we want with our vehicles.  

You want to add turbos, supercharger, fine.  Bigger heads and cam, go for it.  Keep it legal in the sense of emissions and what does it hurt?  To me going this route manufactures would be off the hook for repair costs and would make more in ways of repair bills.

These vehicles are warrantied in stock form.  If you want to play then you have to pay.  That simple.

All these diesel guys "rolling coal" isn't legal and obviously not enforced either.  Cracking down on tuning is one way to keep this from happening.  Like I stated, let us play and have fun but still be emission legal, what can it hurt?  

38 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

I don't understand why manufactures just go the route of if you want to tune your vehicle then go ahead and tune it.  No problem there, you will just loose your warranty.  Give us the freedom to do what we want with our vehicles.  

You want to add turbos, supercharger, fine.  Bigger heads and cam, go for it.  Keep it legal in the sense of emissions and what does it hurt?  To me going this route manufactures would be off the hook for repair costs and would make more in ways of repair bills.

These vehicles are warrantied in stock form.  If you want to play then you have to pay.  That simple.

All these diesel guys "rolling coal" isn't legal and obviously not enforced either.  Cracking down on tuning is one way to keep this from happening.  Like I stated, let us play and have fun but still be emission legal, what can it hurt?  

I completely agree.  GM has a high performance division, why not let us add when we buy?  Dealer installed with full warranty.