Engine/Piston Knock 2000 Silverado Good or Bad!?! Help!!!

cold start knock was very common on the GMT-800s.  My 99 & 05 had it.  With your millage, it is to definitely be expected.   Probably had it since new like most of ours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colossus said:

cold start knock was very common on the GMT-800s.  My 99 & 05 had it.  With your millage, it is to definitely be expected.   Probably had it since new like most of ours. 

Yeah it’s definitely louder at cold start and goes away within 30 seconds, but this is all the time when I’m not driving fast. 

6 hours ago, rjgti said:

check your belt tensioner and idler roller as well as alt and p/s pump when the belt is off

Both my tensioners I just replaced, and the idler is good. The squealing/whining is from the alternator which I need to exchange.

i did Not check the power steering pump (is that was p/s pump is?) or the water pump, but the water pump was replaced just over a year ago. But I’ll check all these later today to see if it is, hopefully you’re right and it’s the ps pump! Thanks!

My 03 1500 and 04 Vette, both purchased new have been doing it since day one and still doing it to this day.

No problems what so ever, other then a the annoying "slap" until warmed up.

• Like 1

Have you checked your torque converter bolts?  For some reason, they seem to like to loosen.  Pull the starter and roll the engine by hand until each of the 3 bolts appears in the starter hole.  They should be at 44 ft-lbs.  If they are loose, you might consider lock tight before you torque them down.  Mine were finger tight when I swapped engines.  I did not lock tight when I swapped motors.  I should have.  I just had to tighten them again.  This time with lock tight.

• Like 1

Busted flywheel.  Quite common on the Gen 3 motors.  I'd open the trans inspection plug and see if you can see any cracks.  Usually they crack around the bolts that hold it to the crank. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Good thought.  Definitely worth checking.  I checked mine when I tightened the bolts.  It was good from what I could see.  You can see quite a bit of the flex plate with the stater out.  You can see a bit of the rest though the inspection plug. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike GMC said:

Have you checked your torque converter bolts?  For some reason, they seem to like to loosen.  Pull the starter and roll the engine by hand until each of the 3 bolts appears in the starter hole.  They should be at 44 ft-lbs.  If they are loose, you might consider lock tight before you torque them down.  Mine were finger tight when I swapped engines.  I did not lock tight when I swapped motors.  I should have.  I just had to tighten them again.  This time with lock tight.

1 hour ago, newdude said:

Busted flywheel.  Quite common on the Gen 3 motors.  I'd open the trans inspection plug and see if you can see any cracks.  Usually they crack around the bolts that hold it to the crank. 

35 minutes ago, Mike GMC said:

Good thought.  Definitely worth checking.  I checked mine when I tightened the bolts.  It was good from what I could see.  You can see quite a bit of the flex plate with the stater out.  You can see a bit of the rest though the inspection plug. 

Cool I’ll have to check it out, I Really hope it’s just the bolts or like

1 hour ago, SG Lou said:

My 03 1500 and 04 Vette, both purchased new have been doing it since day one and still doing it to this day.

No problems what so ever, other then a the annoying "slap" until warmed up.

Said hopefully it’s just this! 

If it is the flywheel is that something I can fix?! Or will I have to drop the transmission and stuff?

1 hour ago, newdude said:

If i remove the trans inspection plug does it drain oil?