Noise when accelerating

mpepple10

Question

Hey there. So I have a weird noise when accelerating. Truck is A 2014 GMC Sierra. It starts at around 2k rpm from 20-35ish mph. After the 35 mph it goes away. Especially goIng up hills. It’s sort of a wah wah wah wah with another noise I can’t describe. Does not do it when car is sitting still and rev. Any ideas?

Edited by mpepple10

5 answers to this question

Could have worn out universal joints.

BLOCK your wheels, or jack up the rear end & put jackstands under axle, put in neutral, and check for and kind of play in the front and rear u-joints - just grab the driveshaft and try to move it up/down, side to side, and diagonally at each joint. Make sure the driveshaft isn't bound tight if you only block your wheels - there needs to be ZERO tension on it when you check for play.

The way you describe the noise also sounds like worn hub bearings, but going up hills wouldn't cause a change in sound there. Cornering would, however.

On 4/18/2018 at 6:44 AM, Jsdirt said:

Could have worn out universal joints.

BLOCK your wheels, or jack up the rear end & put jackstands under axle, put in neutral, and check for and kind of play in the front and rear u-joints - just grab the driveshaft and try to move it up/down, side to side, and diagonally at each joint. Make sure the driveshaft isn't bound tight if you only block your wheels - there needs to be ZERO tension on it when you check for play.

The way you describe the noise also sounds like worn hub bearings, but going up hills wouldn't cause a change in sound there. Cornering would, however.

No idea. I was thinking water pump honestly? Closest thing I have read online. But i do know my left shock is making some noise going over bigger bumps too. 

If it was the water pump, you'd hear it in neutral, too.

Edited by Jsdirt

Nothing lasts anymore. Real sad times we're living in today. Everything is built to throw away in a short time, yet costs more than at any time in history.

Sounds like you might have a caliper hanging up. After you go for a 5+ mile drive, stop somewhere safe and feel the hub of the wheel, and get your hand close to the rotors or drum (in rear, if equipped) - see if you feel excessive heat. Be careful - they can get well over 500°F when dragging. If one is hanging up, you'll feel the heat radiating off it without having to touch anything. You could be smelling burning brake material.