2015+ Tow Mirror Marker as turn signal Alternate Method

Hey all, been trying to find the best way to make the marker lights as turn signals and have found many a way to do so in these forums. From members designing their own boards with micro-controllers to diodes and resistors and everything in between. I hope this method has not been done before and I am actually bringing some useful information to the boards. If its old news, i apologize for resurrecting it again and credit should go to whoever posted it first.

The reason I like this mod in particular is that it does not dim the marker lights and brighten them for the signal. It looks more OEM in that when the signal is on, it blinks the marker on and off and does not change the brightness ever.

It involves some very simple assembly from parts readily available on Amazon. Total cost should be  be under 20$.assuming you carry taps and connectors on hand.

Parts ;

1x LED switchback tube set.

https://smile.amazon.com/White-Amber-Switchback-Headlight-Daytime-Audi-Style/dp/B00NWB2LCO/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1524070369&sr=1-7&keywords=switchback+led+tube

2x 1N5408 Rectifier Diodes (usually come in a pack)

https://www.amazon.com/50-Pieces-1N5408-Rectifier-Electronic/dp/B079KCH1VC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1524072000&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=1n5408+diode&psc=1

Wire taps (I chose to buy a set for future use)

https://smile.amazon.com/Honbay-Connector-Assortment-Connections-10-22ga/dp/B01DGE70Z4/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1524072756&sr=1-7&keywords=spade+wire+taps

Wire connectors criimping style, heat shrink optional

https://smile.amazon.com/American-Terminal-BCRN-100-18-Gauge-Connectors/dp/B01CR37RFS/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1524072825&sr=1-10&keywords=butt+connectors

Soldering iron, solder

*This has been done on a 2015 2500HD LTZ with OEM tow mirrors only. it should work on all aftermarket ones as well however the wire colors may be different. Find the appropriate wires that serve the function and not the color when doing the mod.

*This mod is done to the wiring harness of the mirror inside the door panel where it makes its connection to the door harness.

I am not going to go into the details of taking the door panel off and ect.. since that info is readily available on the webz and these forums/youtube.

This involves modifying the control module that comes with the LED tubes form amazon. the tubes are $12 and all you will need is the module. I think you can find these modules alone on aliexpress or ebay but for 12 bucks i chose amazon prime.

1. Disconnect your battery when messing with wiring or electronics!

2..When you receive the tubes, cut the module out of the harness and leave yourself some wire to work with later. 

For install purposes, the INPUT side of the module is the side that has the open wires, the OUTPUT side is the side with the plug that connects to the LED tube.

Take the Diode and solder it inline with the red output wire on the module. then, take the yellow wire and solder it to the output side of the diode as well, (side with stripe)

That's all you need to do to the module!

3.  Take the door panel off of the door and find the plug that the mirror harness connects to. Unplug that harness.

4. You will be working with the mirror's harness and not the harness on the door.

For install purposes, the INPUT side of the harness is the PLUG side and the OUTPUT side is the MIRROR side. 

5. Find the orange positive wire for the amber marker lights and cut it making sure to leave room on both sides of the cut to add a butt connector.

6. Find the negative black wire with white stripe and cut it as well.

7. Find the red wire with blue stripe. (this is the positive signal wire for the mirror glass red LEDs) and add one of the taps to this wire. You do not need to cut this wire.

8. install the module inline as shown below in the picture. Remember, the input side of the module connects to the plug side of the harness, outputs side is to the mirror side. Use the butt connectors to attach the wires.

image.thumb.png.24ac22f5eefce70b3479d5fc99756ce6.png

And that's it. I recommend taping the module and connections back up using the fabric tape but zip-ties should work as well. 

Reassemble the door panel and profit!

Edited by corwest

Different application but I replaced the dual filament signals on my dual sport some time ago with some 2 wire leds. I used a pair of these to allow both the running light and turn signal to work.

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-LED-Blinker-Genie-Converts/dp/B00KH18U7W

I don't remember them changing the brightness of the diodes at all.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk