Satellite Antenna Leak

2018 satellite antenna leaking. Dealer said they will replace it but may also add silicone to it. I am bringing in tomorrow but for an 80k truck to have silicone applied is disappointing. I am concerned that the silicone will only last a few years and by then it will be out of warranty and it will be on me to reseal if needed...does anyone have pics of what is causing all the leaks? I literally can move the antenna and see daylight where it mounts. 

I attached he’s some pics but they keep saving upside down (even after I rotated them and resaved). 

C0E8ACC4-D30D-40D9-BB15-A32A1BD90ED9.jpeg

864C6716-6285-4BF6-8C5A-36979B1A2C45.jpeg

4EF5B51F-A647-4CD3-B1CC-B1B262A70172.jpeg

When we replace them at the dealer, GM recommends a small bead of clear seam sealer around the square opening that goes threw the roof.There is a small gasket that is supposed to seal that opening.

It is in addition to the gasket, they use silicon on engine parts; does that bother you? It is a proper fix and safe guard.

You didn't spend enough on your truck, if you would have spent $85k you wouldn't have had a truck that leaks as they guarantee they remain dry and free of issues for those that spend more...

Tyler

Welcome to the club. My satellite antenna leaked on my brand new 2017. When I took it in the worker told me they had quite a few come in, to include leaking third brake lights. You'd think they'd have this figured out as they've been using the same relative antennas and third brake lights for 10+ years...

My SiriusXM stopped working on my 15 in the fall.

After troubleshooting with them, I assumed it was the antenna and ordered a new one.

When I installed it, I applied a bead of silicone around the gasket mjm referred to and I haven't had any problems.

The hole in the roof is about 3/4" square.

They use one bolt with a clamp on the inside to hold it in (not the way I would've done it).

Don't worry about the silicone, it'll out last the antennas life.

When I was installing the cab lights I used a can of right stuff honestly you will never have to worry. Once it dries it’s a job getting off durable to good sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Hello silicone on the camper never really holds up but that’s also on a flexible roof and I hope this truck last a good many years.  I still have my 07 with 300,000 miles on it and drive it every day