Tailgate Damper Keeps Breaking

Has anyone else had issues with the tailgate damper breaking on their 1500? I’ve had mine replaced 4 times now and it just broke again, less than a week since being replaced. It’s the piece on the passenger side that keeps breaking. I go to open the tailgate and hear a pop and the gate slams open. My dealer is getting irritated st me for this and I have no control over it. Here’s a pic of the broken piece. Any suggestions on what to do or tell the dealer?4cc01e47abbaf8bcc25fa71080cbf567.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, catpartsman said:

Has anyone else had issues with the tailgate damper breaking on their 1500? I’ve had mine replaced 4 times now and it just broke again, less than a week since being replaced. It’s the piece on the passenger side that keeps breaking. I go to open the tailgate and hear a pop and the gate slams open. My dealer is getting irritated st me for this and I have no control over it. Here’s a pic of the broken piece. Any suggestions on what to do or tell the dealer?4cc01e47abbaf8bcc25fa71080cbf567.jpg

You gotta wonder if the dealer is installing aftermarket parts that aren't up to the task.

• Like 1

I was surprised they used plastic there and they want over 40 bucks for the part. They replaced my lowering shock under warranty but the tailgate never seemed to drop as slowly as my buddy's truck. That piece finally gave up completely and I replaced it, now the gate has a really nice soft lower. Hopefully this one lasts longer than 1.5 years. 

my 2014 has broke once replaced it and it has been fine looking at your picture looks like you got some extra sealing foam around your tailgate this might be putting to much pressure on that cheap piece of plastic

That is a good observation and suggestion. I will remove it today and replace the bushing myself to see if that fixes the issue. I also purchased a DeeZee tailgate assist to help prevent this in the future.

• Like 1

I go to open the tailgate and hear a pop and the gate slams open

To me that sounds like your letting go of the tail gate. If that is the case and your dropping the tail gate I would suspect the extra stress. Mine held up the 2 years I had the 2015 but it was clearly did not work as well as when I got the truck. To me it a cheap as gimmick. Like a stupid rubber grommet is ever going to hold up. 

Yes search the forums there are a bunch of threads on this already.  Known problem that GM won't do anything about.  And once you are out of warranty the damper costs around $80!   :eek:

Mine keeps breaking too and looks just like yours. Given up on it but now mine makes an awful screeching sound like nails on a chalk board as it falls down. 

The dealer sounds like they are going to fix mine one more time. We’ll see.

Instead of the foam your using try a D gasket from the hardware store. It should be right next to all the window and door sealing products. Much lower profile and still seals my tailgate effectively.

I will look for that seal the next time I am at the store.