New Ford F-150 Diesel Tops Ram In Fuel Economy – 25 MPG Combined – 30 MPG Highway

Gorehamj

f-150 power stroke diesel 18.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
4-19-2018

Ford announced today that the official EPA-Estimated fuel economy ratings for its new F-150 Power Stroke Diesel will be 25 MPG Combined, 30 MPG Highway, and 22 MPG City. These ratings, we assume, since Ford did not say, are for RWD trucks. The current Ram, due for an update this year, has a rating of 23 MPG Combined, 27 MPG highway, and 20 MPG City. General Motors has not yet announced any details on its upcoming diesel engine for the Silverado and Sierra 1500s.

The new Ford Power Stroke V6 Diesel-equipped F-150 arrives at dealers in about three weeks. Once the EPA posts the official numbers at its website, we will update the story with the RWD and 4WD information. That should be any day now.
Ram fuel economy diesel 18.png

• Zane changed the title to New Ford F-150 Diesel Tops Ram In Fuel Economy – 25 MPG Combined – 30 MPG Highway

Same as always though, you have to want the motor and pay for it because when I do the math you will save virtually nothing in the end if not pay more.

At least in Canada the markup puts the trucks in the mid to high 60K range if I want the same options I have in my Sierra.

2 hours ago, Zoomie said:

My fuel savings were totally eaten up by maintenance costs. I've had lots of diesel trucks and cars over the years and IMO the emissions controls that are on them now remove all savings you get from better fuel economy. 

This is the truth right here. I came from diesel VW land, and we all know how they tried getting around that new emissions stuff :D 

At least they paid me a pretty penny to have the car back!

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 9:14 AM, Zoomie said:

I had a 2014 RAM Ecodiesel for 110,000 miles. The engine was flawless and a joy to drive with all that torque and fantastic fuel economy even when towing. The maintenance costs of 10qrts of full synthetic and a $60 oil filter, $60 fuel filter had to be changed every other oil change. Transmission oil change is $1300 at 100,000 miles. Then the expensive exhaust stuff started to fail and the starting price was $2100 to get into that work. I traded on a Sierra when that happened.

My fuel savings were totally eaten up by maintenance costs. I've had lots of diesel trucks and cars over the years and IMO the emissions controls that are on them now remove all savings you get from better fuel economy. 

If you're towing heavy for tons of miles a year then it may make sense for you but then you probably should step up to the diesels that are already in the 2500's if that's the case. 

What was the $1300 transmission oil change, what all did that involve? What was the $2100 was that related to emissions?

That diesel from Ford appears to have a TIMING BELT - so that will have to be replaced or it will eventually break. Looks very expensive and most likely a nightmare to work on.

1 hour ago, arz71 said:

That diesel from Ford appears to have a TIMING BELT - so that will have to be replaced or it will eventually break. Looks very expensive and most likely a nightmare to work on.

I saw that too.  All I can think of is so long durability. 

On 4/19/2018 at 7:09 PM, Imcrazy said:

That's a big hit for the 4x4.... Doesn't make sense to me...

Why in the modern day where fuel savings are so important are we driving around turning any part of the 4WD system except for when we need it?

• Like 2

A small diesel for MPG over a decent diesel for true towing power is what I don't get.  Would still like to have seen the 4.x L V8 diesel GM had put in the 1/2 ton.  I bet they'd outsold Ford and Ram by double combined if not more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skeld said:

Why in the modern day where fuel savings are so important are we driving around turning any part of the 4WD system except for when we need it?

I would hazard a guess that the simplest solution has been around longer than anyone here.  Manual locking hubs are too "manual" for the average buyer these days. Used to be 4wd were bought for farm work, and anyone that would kneel in cow shit and piss just to pick up an egg had no problems working the locking hubs on the wife's town truck. Back in the late 70s early 80s I would convert a couple of trucks a week to locking hubs.  Not even an option these days. 

The extra weight of all the 4wd extra components doesn't help the mileage either. 

• Like 2