Crew Cab Side Exit Exhaust (Before Rear Tire) Thoughts?

Ok, need some opinions, advice, ideally some experience.  I've been through many many mufflers ranging from "Wake the kids across the house when you start your truck in the morning" to "is that a stock muffler I just spent $150 on?".  I now have my first new truck ever, a 2018 GMC sierra 1500 crew cab all terrain with the 6.2.  I love the truck and I'm looking to do a custom exhaust only because of the look and not the sound (maybe 75/20 because this truck has no tone at all).  You get the idea...I want it quiet. 

The exhaust I want to build is a side exit, dual tip, before the right rear tire.  I don't like the look of the Gibson setup and I'm concerned it would be way too loud anyways.  I have a couple questions and would love thoughts and opinions.  

1.  How far forward can I go with a muffler without issues?  If I do the corsa twin tip I'm going to need a lot of space due to the design of that particular tip (which I like a lot).  Does moving the muffler towards the front effect sound at all?

2.  If I want zero interior drone, what do you think about a big 22" magnaflow and right next to it weld in the factory rear resonator?  That thing is straight through and if I had the room under there to do the pipework needed for the side exit, I would think that the combo could provide a little more V8 tone but tame it down considerably.  I assume most of you will hate this idea but could it accomplish what I'm after?

Thanks, 

5 hours ago, tenminutes said:

Ok, need some opinions, advice, ideally some experience.  I've been through many many mufflers ranging from "Wake the kids across the house when you start your truck in the morning" to "is that a stock muffler I just spent $150 on?".  I now have my first new truck ever, a 2018 GMC sierra 1500 crew cab all terrain with the 6.2.  I love the truck and I'm looking to do a custom exhaust only because of the look and not the sound (maybe 75/20 because this truck has no tone at all).  You get the idea...I want it quiet. 

The exhaust I want to build is a side exit, dual tip, before the right rear tire.  I don't like the look of the Gibson setup and I'm concerned it would be way too loud anyways.  I have a couple questions and would love thoughts and opinions.  

1.  How far forward can I go with a muffler without issues?  If I do the corsa twin tip I'm going to need a lot of space due to the design of that particular tip (which I like a lot).  Does moving the muffler towards the front effect sound at all?

2.  If I want zero interior drone, what do you think about a big 22" magnaflow and right next to it weld in the factory rear resonator?  That thing is straight through and if I had the room under there to do the pipework needed for the side exit, I would think that the combo could provide a little more V8 tone but tame it down considerably.  I assume most of you will hate this idea but could it accomplish what I'm after?

Thanks, 

The 22 inch magnaflow is a quite muffler. 

I have the 18 I think.  It's not loud at all.  

Keep what you got. Last time I was at midas for a leak around the manifold header (caused by dealer, but thats another story), I asked him what he recommended - a borla or corsa? He looked at me sideways and said, "The one you got is the best. Why you wanna mess with it?" Hes right too: high flow, no drone, and durable as hell...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ford tried that side exit for a few years and every truck had a screwed rear rim on that side, took the clear coat off the rim. wasn't long and they discontinued that exhaust. 

Congratulations on your new truck and with a 6.2 no less.

My thoughts are replace your stock muffler and flapper valve with a Magnaflow 12909.   This will give you a good sound at startup and a deeper tone than stock and really sounds good when on the gas.  Your side exit exhaust idea will probably not work due to the mufflers large size.  The exit pipe would need to be bent in such a way that it probably would cause a considerable exhaust flow restriction.  IMO keep the stock tailpipe and put on a Stainless Steel tip and if things are too quiet for you have them remove the rear resonator and weld on a piece of straight pipe instead.  I do not tow often but did over the weekend and am glad my resonator is still intact.  There were a couple of times where my revs went up on long climbs and the exhaust was noticeable.   Any louder and I probably would not have tolerated it too well.

• 7 months later...