New Ram Performance Truck: A See You Later To GM

Turns out the Rebel TRX concept is heading to production very soon. Has anyone seen this new unveil from Ram? Been waiting for a performance truck from GM for almost 2 decades now. Not a street unit, but apparently this beast will have options for a 575hp 7.0L NA Hemi, or the supercharged 6.1L Hemi making 707hp as found in the Hellcat and Trackhawk. I never thought I would consider a Dodge, but this thing puts the Raptor and anything GM makes to shame in the truck department. https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/limited-editions/ram-1500/rebel-trx/

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-2018-ram-rebel-is-a-car-worth-waiting-for-feature

What do you guys think? 

• Like 1

I started reading the article and noticed this little bit:

"Why It Matters: With the full Ram engineering overhaul postponed, FCA is eager to use what it has on the shelf to eat into Raptor sales. Ram can’t let Ford suck up every spendthrift interested in owning an airborne pickup. "

Then I noticed: March 2017 By CAR AND DRIVER

Sorry to break yer heart kiddo.

Edited by Crazy Schooner
  • Haha 1

Got a LS3 in the Vette, 6.2 in the Silverado. Did 150 on I-85 in the Vette, 85 in the Silverado. All those horses and if I get caught doing 80 here in VA, it's reckless driving? 

Remember, if you build it, they will buy it!!!

(still, that's a lot of horsepower? how much will be wasted?

I'd much sooner buy a Dodge than a FERD.... IMO Ford should have taken the bailout loans like GM & Chrysler did, now Ford's product is lacking quality, maybe not innovation but, quality because they tried to tough it out....I have no interest in 700hp trucks, Raptors that can fly 17ft in the air or even really a ZR2 Colorado... I just want a cushy reasonably powerful V8 powered pickup... I think GM is wise to avoid this uber high end performance truck market...

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Crazy Schooner said:

I started reading the article and noticed this little bit:

"Why It Matters: With the full Ram engineering overhaul postponed, FCA is eager to use what it has on the shelf to eat into Raptor sales. Ram can’t let Ford suck up every spendthrift interested in owning an airborne pickup. "

Then I noticed: March 2017 By CAR AND DRIVER

Sorry to break yer heart kiddo.

The original concept and article are from 2017 yes, but I have heard from multiple sources it will be going into production at some point in the 2019 MY. I don't need a Raptor, or a Rebel or an off-road truck at all. All I want is for GM to make anything. A Street truck, Off-road truck. Hell, even a stock chassis with an LT4 would have me head over heels. I am a horsepower junkie, why I own a 6.2L. But when the competition now has V6's that can dust GM's flagship trucks and powertrains, they need to do something about it. Remember the SS454, Typhoon/Cyclone, AWD 6L SS?  That is all we are asking for. At least put an LT4 as an option on top tier units, even if it had a $10k box to check. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2018 at 6:43 PM, Colossus said:

Big deal.  Who cares.  Let Dodge and Ford waste their engineering dollars on crap that wont sell very well. 

Raptors "Lease" very well...  probably at a huge margin for Ford, too. The Dealers in my area (Houston) are selling these things as fast as they get them and thats with a 5-10k Mark-up over MSRP.

On 4/23/2018 at 8:11 PM, Imcrazy said:

I'd much sooner buy a Dodge than a FERD.... IMO Ford should have taken the bailout loans like GM & Chrysler did, now Ford's product is lacking quality, maybe not innovation but, quality because they tried to tough it out....I have no interest in 700hp trucks, Raptors that can fly 17ft in the air or even really a ZR2 Colorado... I just want a cushy reasonably powerful V8 powered pickup... I think GM is wise to avoid this uber high end performance truck market...

Agree.

Why would I want to a buy truck that is over priced, lots of them on the road.

Just because I can?

They count on this mentality. :banghead:

:)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FHLH said:

Raptors "Lease" very well...  probably at a huge margin for Ford, too. The Dealers in my area (Houston) are selling these things as fast as they get them and thats with a 5-10k Mark-up over MSRP.

Considering Ford is dropping the Focus, Fusion, Taurus and Fiesta from their line leads me to believe they are selling more Raptors than cars lol. 

Agree.
Why would I want to a buy truck that is over priced, lots of them on the road.
Just because I can?
They count on this mentality. :banghead:

[emoji4]

Especially if you expect to actually use said truck...the Raptors are a specialty vehicle, and I understand that being used truck is not a strong attribute they have.

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

They are just big Boy/Girl toys.

A friend just had to have a Raptor and failed to estimate it's appetite for FUEL!!!!!  Took a loss getting rid of it.

Ff you have money to blow go for it I say though.

For difference in price for them  you could buy a nice truck and then build an off road rig.