Duramax Oil Change

Oils:

Good? Any oil with a CG-4, CH-4 or CI-4 rating. 15W-40

Better? The big three. Chevron Delo 400, Shell Rotella T, Mobile Delvac 1300

Best? I suppose Mobile Delvac 1 Synthetic and Shell Rotella-T Synthetic are possibilities. Some folks swear by Amsoil.

I use Chevron Delo 400, which has the advantage of being availble in gallons and in quarts (which comes in handy when your going for 10 Qts) at Walmart and Autozone.

Filter:

Probably better stick pretty close to the Delco Filter. Smoe other filters have had nasty bursting problems at low tempuratures, where the D-max can create over 100 psi oil pressure. I've been buying the STP filter which, like the Delco, is made by Champion Labs. From all appearances the STP and the Delco are identical except for color and markings. (And Price, the STP is $4.99 at Autozone).

Tips:

Get a Fumoto Valve. I got mine at Kennedy Diesel. This will let you attach a hose and shut off the flow mid stream. . . both good things. Since your truck does not already have the valve go are going to make a huge mess the first time . . . when you first remove the bolt the oil will shoot WAY out of the hole like nothing you've seen before, you'll get the pan under it and think every thing is under control, then the stream will taper off and about a gallon will end up draining on top of the skid plate and dipping off of about 10 different places. You'll need the economy size oil-dry and some sacraficial towls.

Next you may be in luck, if you were removing the factory installed oil filter you would need the strength of Hercules, because one of his decendents installs the filters at Duramax Ltd in Ohio. Be sure to have a stout filter wrench.

After you get everything cleaned up and the new oil in be sure to turn the key to the run position (without starting it) and stroke the accelerator through its full motion 5 times in 3 seconds. . .the "Change Engine Oil" message will flash to let you know you've reset the minder. (I'm told this method still works on the '03 trucks, but that the feedback from the D.I.C. is slightly different.)

The next oil change, using the Fumoto, will be so simple and clean you'll be astonished. :cool:

If you go by the specs, the BALDWIN B1441 is the best one I have found for the Duramax (so far). Last fall after I purchased my 2003 Duramax, I sent emails to AC Delco, Baldwin, Wix requesting filter % efficiency ratings in microns for their Duramax OIL filters.

Here are the numbers I was quoted.

AC DELCO PF2232: 25 microns nominal, 40 microns absolute (Beta numbers not stated)

WIX 57202 13 micron nominal (50%, Beta =2) and 37 micron absolute (98.7%, Beta = 75)

Baldwin B1441: 8 micron nominal (50%, Beta =2) and 23 micron absolute (98.7%, Beta = 75)

I have to agree with points in both responses.

I changed the oil for the first change and added the Fumoto valve at that time. Same story applies here.....bought Fumoto at Kennedy Diesel, and had oil all over the place after 10 qts runs down your arms, across the skid plate, and overflows the oil pan because it comes out like it's being chased by the police. Next time should be a breeze.

The filter is unbelievably tight the first time (insert joke here). If you've had the dealer do a couple changes, it should be somewhat easier. The high oil pressure of the Duramax sucks it right up to the gasket that's for sure.

Baldwin filters here as well. Ordered a couple along with the Fumoto from Kennedy too. Also a Baldwin filter for the Allison was added. My dad used Baldwins on all the machinery around the farm as well as the family vehicles and I can say that many are in the "high mileage" catagory and still running strong. Dad's '79 GMC with a 400SB is still ticking with almost 300,000 hard farm miles.

Just a little more info on oil, check out this site Bobistheoilguy.com

They talk about all the different oils for diesel's. Delvac 1 considered the million mile oil for synthetics and Amsoil is talked up and seems the favorite oil for the cummins owners.

You can get a ton of information on there, give it a review.

I have the fumoto valve on mine little tiny 5.3 and love it. It should be standard issue :cool:

If you go by the specs, the BALDWIN B1441 is the best one I have found for the Duramax (so far). Last fall after I purchased my 2003 Duramax, I sent emails to AC Delco, Baldwin, Wix requesting filter % efficiency ratings in microns for their Duramax OIL filters.

Here are the numbers I was quoted.

AC DELCO PF2232: 25 microns nominal, 40 microns absolute (Beta numbers not stated)

WIX 57202 13 micron nominal (50%, Beta =2) and 37 micron absolute (98.7%, Beta = 75)

Baldwin B1441: 8 micron nominal (50%, Beta =2) and 23 micron absolute (98.7%, Beta = 75)

We use Baldwin at work on all of our trucks and they are very good filters. The oil looks cleaner after 4000 miles with baldwin filters than Delco or other brands. :cool:

I switched to Amsoil Diesel and Marine 15w-40 at the third oil change. I use either an Amsoil filter (made by Hastings) or the Baldwin. I had an oil analysis done (by an independent lab at a local heavy equipment dealer) at 6000 miles, and their response was: "run it for another 6000 miles then bring us another sample". Don't know if I'd feel comfortable running any oil for 12k+ miles, but the report came back squeeky clean after 6k. Low soot, no fuel dilution. I was concerned about that as I run the Hot Juice on the 125hp setting exclusively. Don't need the other three lower settings! :cool:

NO SH!T ABOUT THE FILTER AND PLUG ON TIGHT!!!!!!

I did my first oil change. I had to get a 1/2" rachet and 2 ft. cheater bar to break the plug loose. :) Some smarta$$ used blue LOCKTITE on the d*mn thing! :D On the oil filter, I broke two filter wrenches (straps) and dented the filter up bad. :fume: Ended up using the trusty screwdriver and hammer method. :lol::cool: Guess what!!! :fume: The oil filter had blue locktite on the threads also! :fume: Not a happy camper after that one!!

Oh well, everything else is great! :lol:

Definately love my fumoto valve. Don't use a hose either, as it sticks out far enough that it doesn't drip on the brush guard.

I had my dealer change the first oil change and I handed my service guy my fumoto valve to put in instead of my plug. He looked at me surely thinking "Well, I won't be changing HIS oil any more."

lol

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info/advice :P

I stocked up on Baldwin filters and purchased a Fumoto valve from Kennedy Diesel and changed the oil for the first time yesterday. It was by far the easiest and cleanest oil change I have ever done. Did I miss something??

Drain.......remove filter.......continue to drain.......replace filter........install Fumoto valve.......fill with Rotella.

Simple and saved me a bundle.

-Wardster

I use Shell Rotella T in mine 2003 DMax and get the filter from the dealer. My dealer doesn't stock the AC oil filter, but uses the black filter, the Iszuz one that is identical to the OEM filter that was originally on it from the factory (it's black with a silver label on it). The parts manager told me that all GM dealers were shipped mandatory parts with the introduction of the DMax (filters, oil, etc) and he has always just restocked the oil filters using the same part number as the OEM filter and not the AC filter. Makes sense to me. I personally don't know what the difference in price is, but I do know if I took the truck back to them for the oil change, that is the filter they would use.

An yes, the filter is definately on there tight (I've only changed the oil in mine once so far). The instructions on the black filter say to tighten it by had as tight as possible and then using an appropriate tool, tighten it yet one full turn. I couldn't get one full turn with my strap wrench. It will be interesting to see how hard it comes off next time.

Archived