What's a 'posi'?

Posi is a locker rear end where both wheels spin instead of one like in an open differential rear end. For GM it is RPO code G80.

A locking differential? Not a limited-slip? Interesting term.. hehe... I wonder why he didn't just say 'locking diff'...

Thanks!

Posi is a term that GM starting using in the 60's when they were promoting the muscle cars. It refers to any type of locker or limited slip. It became such a common term, like "Coke" is, that all the automakers and the aftermarket picked it up. Not used so much today, but you can tell someones age by their use of it!!!

I have a posi in my truck! :smash:

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Posi is a term that GM starting using in the 60's when they were promoting the muscle cars. It refers to any type of locker or limited slip. It became such a common term, like "Coke" is, that all the automakers and the aftermarket picked it up. Not used so much today, but you can tell someones age by their use of it!!!

I have a posi in my truck! :(

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Ahh.. so it means "not an open diff" ? :smash:

Thanks,

GM rearends today are not a true positive traction,,they are limited slip or in other words a locking diff.In the old days with true positive traction rear ends when you would turn sharply you could hear it ratcheting as you turned because your inside wheel when turning was rolling less than the outside wheel.They were locked all the time ans there was a ratchet mechanism in the rear end or you wouldn't even be able to turn.I'm not a rear end expert but i tried to explain it...lol

close enough shotgun..

that's what they run in NASCAR, are the true positractions... or detroit lockers as some call em..

I would have guessed NASCAR used open differentials because locking ones eat up more rubber and it wouldn't be common for one tire to lose traction.

Archived