hypertech or westerns

mustard man

I just got my 03 sierra 4.8 in march and have almost 10K miles on it. I did exhaust work to it.

flowmaster 40series ( non delta) duals at a 45 out the back. ( no other mods)

what are peoples thoughts of the hypertech. do they really work? can you run 87octane with it? I run 89 all the time.

westerns. I hear amazing things about this setup. $595. thats over 200 more than the hyper tech. is it worth that much money? :smash:

If you use the hypertech and program it for 87 octane tuning you will still get detination.Ive had many hypertech programmers for all the diff.truck ive had and the westers blows them away.Its not even a comparison.I will not get another hypertech product again now that I have experieced westers tuning.

Just wish Westers wasn't so darn expensive. Between my truck payment, house payment, college classes, and the twin girls. Money is just a bit tight for what they are asking. I guess I will have to wait till the truck is paid for. :eek:

if you wanna spend the $$$$ Westers is to be Awesome!!! if not get Hypertech, Diablo, or Superchips. Out of those (I don't have first hand experience but have read nad heard a lot)....Diablo or Superchips.....I got a Hypertech for my 98 5.7 and it is cool (I got it used...otherwise woulda been an SPE ProFlash or Superchip). *I didn't realize it really only helped at FOT(Full Open Throttle).

• 2 months later...

I have the Hypertech on my '02 5.3L. And it doesn't just help at full throttle. The truck has more power throughout the rpm range. Different trucks respond differently to different programmers. Most people that buy the Hypertech don't get aggressive enough with the settings, therefore they are disappointed with it. It made a big difference on my truck. But having said all that, I am going to try a Wester's just because of the rave reviews it gets from so many people. I just hope it's worth the big price tag.

That HPP3 is a pile. The Diablo marries itself to the VIN of the programmed vehicle. So dont expect to sell it in the near future if you buy one.

Look into this:

Nelson Performance Tuning

Nelson Thread 1

Nelson Thread 2

Nelson Thread 3

LS1Edit is the only way to fly. The big difference between the Hypertech, Westers and Nelson tune is the Hypertech does not have the option to kill TM. That is the BIG difference you feel with the "custom" tunes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
That HPP3 is a pile. The Diablo marries itself to the VIN of the programmed vehicle. So dont expect to sell it in the near future if you buy one.

Look into this:

Nelson Performance Tuning

Nelson Thread 1

Nelson Thread 2

Nelson Thread 3

LS1Edit is the only way to fly. The big difference between the Hypertech, Westers and Nelson tune is the Hypertech does not have the option to kill TM. That is the BIG difference you feel with the "custom" tunes.

nothing against Nelsons but you get no credit towards a new computer if you ever sell your vehicle so it's kinda the same as the diablo

nothing against Nelsons but you get no credit towards a new computer if you ever sell your vehicle so it's kinda the same as the diablo.

I hear ya man. You pick what you wish. I programmed my own with Edit. On this board everybody goes with Westers. On LS1Tech everyone talks about Nelsons. I have neither tune. I wanted TM gone and full programmability of my PCM without having to send it to Canada or driving somewhere to get it flashed. So I just got Edit. That and I can drive and fine tune things.

the funny thing is I was just on LS1Tech and couldn't believe the bashing going on.

There is some serious brown nosing going on there :wtf:

I was interested in LS1 edit but I didn't have access to a laptop, a week after buying the Wester's, my bro bought a laptop :cheers: . In all honesty I think for me to have gotten what Lyndon did for me out of the truck would've taken awhile to figure out.

Have you ever thought of sending your LS1edit readings to a tuner and having them send you a program for your truck? (kinda like going to their shop but avoiding the drive :D )

Archived