Hard Shift into Reverse

For most of the time that I have owned my truck, it has always shifted really hard into reverse from park. If I roll down the window, I can actually here it making a metal clank noise. Doesn't sound too good, and it concerns me that it might be doing other damage. Has anyone else had this sort of problem? Do you know the fix to it? Thanks in advance.

Mine has done it since day one and now has 107K on it. It is just driveline slop IMO.

As the Universal Joints (on the driveshaft) wear it will get worse. It will actually start ticking as you move forward. The best way to check the Universals is to grab the driveshaft at both sides of the Universal and twist in opposite directions back and fourth. If there is ANY play, replace them. Mine are still tight at my mileage though.

Do you guys use the Parking Brake when you park???? :thumbs:

I have a 1999 Z-71 (classic) with 99k on it and I have NEVER put the truck in Park without having the Parking Brake set. My tranny shifts smooth as butter from Park to Reverse or any other gear. It makes me cringe when I see someone pull to a stop, put the truck in park and let off the brake allowing the truck to roll and have the tranny catch the weight of the truck with a jerking motion. You know that can not be good on a tranny.

As a side note: I am anal about taking care of my stuff, including the truck. I bought the truck brand new and it has NEVER had a shoe touch the carpet - literally. I ALWAYS park at the end of a parking lot or against a curb to avoid door dings, and have never washed it with one of those carwash brushes. The truck has been on 1 gravel road that I can remember - and that was a very slow trip.

Do you guys use the Parking Brake when you park???? :thumbs:

I have a 1999 Z-71 (classic) with 99k on it and I have NEVER put the truck in Park without having the Parking Brake set. My tranny shifts smooth as butter from Park to Reverse or any other gear. It makes me cringe when I see someone pull to a stop, put the truck in park and let off the brake allowing the truck to roll and have the tranny catch the weight of the truck with a jerking motion. You know that can not be good on a tranny.

On flat ground it will not hurt it. If you park on a hill yes you should put the brake on before it goes into park. The parking pawl is what is stopping the truck when it moves forward like that. That is what it is there for.

Archived