WOW Tune up's are expensive!

It has been about 12 years since I last owned a chevy truck. I recently purchased a 1996 silverado 1500 ext 5.7l Vortec. I want to do a tune-up on it so I called the parts dept for prices. Here's the breakdown:

Fuel filter $42.95

dist. cap $44.81

Rotor $12.81

Plugs $8.32 each

Wires $134.09

PCV $3.80

For a grand total of Approx $305.00

I don't ever remember paying this much for a tune up to either of my previous chevy trucks (1968 & 1979). I guess that's the price you pay for having a newer vehicle. Ok, ranting over.

My question would be why didn't you just buy the parts at half the price from a part house of choice and replace them yourself. It would have cost about half the price and all the parts you mentioned are slam dunk easy to do. :rolleyes: $134.00 for plug wires, are they gold plated?

I always used to get my parts from the dealer when I had my other trucks. Didn't think they would be that outragous on their pricing. Can I get genuine GM/AC Delco parts at other stores such as NAPA, Pepboys, Autozone, etc.......?

My question would be why didn't you just buy the parts at half the price from a part house of choice and replace them yourself. It would have cost about half the price and all the parts you mentioned are slam dunk easy to do. :rolleyes: $134.00 for plug wires, are they gold plated?

I haven't bought anything yet. I was calling for prices. Yes, I know the parts are easy to change.

Auto Zone caries AC Delco as well. The fuel filter was not AC Delco but only cost me I believe it was $10 - $12. PCV was about the same price. Wires I know you can get cheaper at the same if not better quality.

I got ripped the other day for Hyundai parts, but for some odd reason the dealer was $5 cheaper than Auto Zone and had them in stock versus waiting a few days. A wooping $60 for plug wires theat is just not right, for only four of them to boot.

It has been about 12 years since I last owned a chevy truck. I recently purchased a 1996 silverado 1500 ext 5.7l Vortec. I want to do a tune-up on it so I called the parts dept for prices. Here's the breakdown:

Fuel filter $42.95

dist. cap $44.81

Rotor $12.81

Plugs $8.32 each

Wires $134.09

PCV $3.80

I don't ever remember paying this much for a tune up to either of my previous chevy trucks (1968 & 1979). I guess that's the price you pay for having a newer vehicle. Ok, ranting over.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :rolleyes:

$42.95 for a fuel filter?

That's about $5.99 at autozone.

Distributor cap? That shouldn't be more than $20 cor cap AND rotor unless you are going with MSD or Accell stuff.

Plugs? $8.32 *EACH* for what I'm willing to bet were AC Delco Platinums? Those are like $6 *AT MOST* at autozone.

$134 for wires? Are these the cheap ass crappy factory wires? You could get a NICE set of MSD or Accel wires for that much.

The PCV valve I think is even like $1.99 at a-zone....

Fuel filter    $42.95

dist. cap     $44.81

Rotor         $12.81

Plugs         $8.32 each

Wires         $134.09

PCV           $3.80

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :rolleyes:

$42.95 for a fuel filter?

That's about $5.99 at autozone.

Distributor cap? That shouldn't be more than $20 cor cap AND rotor unless you are going with MSD or Accell stuff.

Plugs? $8.32 *EACH* for what I'm willing to bet were AC Delco Platinums? Those are like $6 *AT MOST* at autozone.

$134 for wires? Are these the cheap ass crappy factory wires? You could get a NICE set of MSD or Accel wires for that much.

The PCV valve I think is even like $1.99 at a-zone....

That is a ridiculous price for a fuel filter.

Actually the price on the rotor and cap aren't far off from what you will get a Auto-zone for the good ones.

Plugs, they will tell you taht only AC Platinums are called for. They are cheaper at Auto-zone but you can get Bosch Platinums for even cheaper and they are just as good.

DO NOT buy wires at that price. You can get a set of MSD 8mm super-conductors for about $80-ish

Things are a lot different than on your 68 and 79 though :jester:

:fume: If you think almost $43 for a fuel filter is insane, dont have them install it! I made the mistake - truck was in for intake manifold gaskets (never heard that one before have you?), they also replaced an injector and the fuel filter. Now, my neighbor is the service manager at this dealership, and one hell of a guy, but $19.95 to change a fuel filter? Whats that, like $250 hour labor? At least they only fixed the stuff I wanted them too.

Archived