Tape Deck Removal

How hard is it to take out the tape deck in a 2000 Silverado. I have the center console with the tape deck below the cigerette lighter . I have a small 2 meter ham radio that would fit nicely in that spot since I dont even use the tape deck. Has anybody remove it before?

Very easy.

Open the storage compartment door,

remove 2 (I think) screws,

carefully pry/lift face plate off the rest of the console,

watch and try not to break the little tabs on the top part,

you'll see a couple black plastic brackets with tabs on them that you can squeez down and then slide the cassette player out,

disconnect the wiring harness and you done.

You could leave the harness in there I guess. Minght want to tape it down or zip tie it up to something so it doesn't move around a rattle. Or you could remove the dash bezel, remove the head unit, disconnet the other end of the harnesss and pull the entire harness out.

By the way, they head unit uses the same kind of bracket to hold it in, if you ever need to remove it.

Good luck. :uhoh:

Hey thanks for the info.......did you notice enough room in there once you took it out?  I am putting a 2 meter radio in there that is roughly less than 6" x 2" X 6".

Having pulled my factory system out last weekend, I was also considering some type of 2-way radio unit to fill the void. I have the remote CD drive instead of the tape unit, but I would think they're nearly the same size. The dimensions of the CD unit bezel (face plate) are just a shade under 6" wide and just under 2" tall. It's about 7" deep, and I dont think you'd get anything much deeper than that into the opening.

You might also be pleased to know as well that the bracket attached to the CD or Tape unit will come off, so you can probably attach it to your new radio and slip it right back into the opening. Get that factory-looking installation! :uhoh:

Archived