Hummer H2 is out!

Import Hater

On Friday the dealer next to where I work had a production H2 on display.  #00024 to be exact.  They arranged all the H1 Hummers in a semicircle around the new model as to make some sort of grand display.  They had balloons too!  Not quite sure if it was available for sale or not.  It had a "GM Proving Grounds" sticker in the window.  But nothing looked unfinished.  Back today on Monday...it's gone.

But...ooooh.  It looks even nicer in person.  Now I'm tempted all over again.  But I'm out of the chips for at least a year.  And by then, we'll have the new and improved truck lineup, with such goodies like quadrasteer (I've driven it...and I think it's amazing), Bose stereos, dvd players, driver information centers, and maybe a few other surprises.  Oh the decisions...  What I really should do is wait for the H2 to get the navigation and a hopefully a Duramax diesel.

Rob

It must have been a "saleable prototype".  Just for show, for now, but things are really getting close to them being on the lot!!  :(

There are a lot of saleable vehicles running around Metro Detroit these days. I had the opportunity to drive one at lunch last week ;)

Nice ride, not as stiff as I expected.  Can't wait until they relocate that spare tire to the outside, it really takes up a lot of interior space. That one person third seat is kind of silly too ;)

Not sure if I'd pay $49K + for a bulky station wagon, but to each his own.

The price is damn near half of what a new H1 costs.  But it's right around the mark of the Escalade and Denali.  Just has some way different sheetmetal.  When you think about it, all the upgrades for 2003 will surely be in the Escalade and Denali as well.  I just like the uniqueness of the H2.  You won't be seeing a whole lot of those on the road compared to the other GM SUV's.  And the gadgets like the advanced traction control, electronic locker on the diff, and the seemingly endless amount of accessories make it neat.  And of course it's going to be way more offroad capable than the low-range lacking, highway tire equipped, screams of soccer mom, Caddy and GMC.

But I do want to wait and see what is in store for the '04 model.  And the Avalanche based SUT version should also come out by then too...  And for the love of all that's good GM, put the diesel in!

Rob

Archived