Addiing turn signal light to mirrors ?

Been thinking about adding small turn signal lights under the side mirror housings on my 2000 Silverado. I was wondering how to get into the mirror housing. I ended up cracking the glass trying to get it off. Several questions: How do you get the glass off? How would you run wires through the door and into the mirror? How do you get the inside door panel off? I was wondering if there is an easy way :( to run the wires through the rubber "wire bundle" or "conduit" that runs from the door to the inside frame at the front of the truck (the one that has all of the wires for the power windows, locks, mirrors). Has anyone done this? What do you think? I think I'll wait before I replace the glass :crazy: cause it will probably happen again before all of this is done. :confused:

Door comes apart fairly easily. If you have an SLE or higher trim package, the electronics require a little patience to remove. Important things to note: The clips that hold the door "skin" to the metal frame of the door don't pull away ... they lift up to remove the panel. Other important note is that the power window and door lock controls have a single screw underneath them that needs to be removed. Failure to remove screw and you get to replace more parts. Already disassembled the door once to add a power tailgate lock. GM changed the electrical architecture of the 2003 model, so I needed to hit the +12V to the door lock actuator. I ran wires in the "conduit". It's easy, just requires patience and time. Your best bet is to disconnect the "conduit" from the door and cab so it's free ... the straighten and collapse it so there is less of it to fight. Then you push the wires through, reconnect and you're all set.

I've already been to Pep Boys, and they did not have the kind on my truck. They had the older style---kind of an oval shape 6 X 9. Mine has a "jog" in the lower inside corner above the swivel joint for folding in the mirror. They do have a film type material that you cut to fit. Might check that out. Stealer wants $48 just for the glass! Anyway, I'll worry about that later. Right now I want to find out how to get the glass off so I can see if I can run wires through the swivel part of the mirror base. Surely there is a gromet there for the power mirror motor wiring. Any advice would be appreciated! :confused:

Stealer wants $48 just for the glass!

try using one of the preffered vendors from this site. I got mine locally for $36 and probably ould have gotten it cheaper

Why don't you buy a set of Muth signal mirrors. That way you get your glass replaced and you get turn signals all in one shot. I put a set on mine and they work great.

tboat, How hard is the muth install?

heres a link from JPs site.  They are $219

http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/pr...&cat=352&page=1

It is not too bad. It took me about 3 hours to install mine. Be very careful when installing the new mirrors. They are very thin and could be broken if you don't watch what you are doing. This link will take you to recommended installation directions from Muth.

http://www.kwmuth.com/techsupport/pdfs/21000150.pdf

Over $200 for just te glass, and not heated? That seems pretty steep. There is a guy on E-Bay who sells what he claims to be gunuine GM heated signall glass for $120 a pair. I've been holding off to do some research on the difficulty of installation.

Does anybody know if it's possible to add heated glass just by running a power wire and switch, or is there more that would have to be done?

That's the main reason I don't go with the Muth mirrors. They are nice, but the $$$$$$, wow ! :crazy: I think I can add some type LED or small clearance light on the underside of the mirror housing and make it look good without sticking out like a sore thumb. The major hurdle is how difficult it will be to run the wires through the swivel joint of the mirror. I fold mine in (driver side) everyday to park in the garage. I'm looking at the Muth mirror instructions link above to see if it can help me out. Any "experienced" advise is welcome. :confused:

GENUINE GM TURN SIGNAL /HEATED/ DRIVER SIDE DIMMING MIRROR GLASS KITS

These are found on the new 2003 GM Trucks and SUV

Will fit 99-04 Silverado or Sierra Trucks. or SUV

BRAND NEW GM Turn Signal Mirror Glass....Retail for $299 a pair from GM. This is a GM part.

COMES WITH 14 page instructions manual to install. Also have 3 page schematics. Instructions have Full pictures to help remove panels and where to wire mirrors. Also comes with pigtail harness. (Wires are not long enough to run under dash. Need to purchase kit from me for 15.00 or buy connectors and additional wires to complete the install)

Easy 1-2 hour do it your self job. Very easy and simple to do.

To make driver Dim work, you must hook up to auto dim rear view mirror output wires if you have a auto dim rear view mirror. If you have the rear view mirror its very easy to hook up.

ONLY $125.00 a Pair + 10.00 S/H

I found that on a site....seems if you look around its cheaper.

Archived