CB radio electrical installation

bigBP

Just about ready to install my new CB radio (cobra 18WX ST 11). I'm planning on splicing into my electrical system to power it, there's three wires; a ground, one to be connected to a switched source (such as the radio), and one to be connected to an un-switched source (such as the brake lights). Any suggestions on the easiest way to do this? I have a '95 chevy 1500, and by the looks of it I'm probably going to have to take off the dash (fun).

Shouldnt be to bad. What I usually do is splice into the radio for the constant 12V and the switced source. Also you can do the ground there too. I have seen a few run the 12V straight to the battery. You can run it to the fuse box. thats an option. Like I said the radio is how I go for all that. As far as color of the wires on the radio goes you will have to get a chilton or a haynes to get that info. Hope this sheds some light.

:thumbs:

Just about ready to install my new CB radio (cobra 18WX ST 11). I'm planning on splicing into my electrical system to power it, there's three wires; a ground, one to be connected to a switched source (such as the radio), and one to be connected to an un-switched source (such as the brake lights). Any suggestions on the easiest way to do this? I have a '95 chevy 1500, and by the looks of it I'm probably going to have to take off the dash (fun).

Unswitched source can be the cigarette lighter (disconnect it altogether if you don't smoke) and the radio power lead can be the switched source.

Does the fuse box have a spade tap that you can use for switched or unswitched power? Usually they are right next to a fuse and the tap is verticle. Check with a voltmeter to see which are switched or unswitched.

Unknown if your 95 is similar to my 97 but on my truck there is a fuse block right behind the ecm on the drivers side fender under the hood that has two studs that are constantly powered .

I ran my wires for my cb , scanner, power inverter, and 2way off of those 2 studs and ran the wires throuigh the firewall .

Easiest thing to do is go to Radio Shack and buy a connector that plugs into one of your "cigarette lighter" jacks. Solder the wires to the connector and plug it in. All done. This way when you are jumping in your jumping into your friends Scion you can have some fun and bring your CB with you :fume:

Or just hard wire it in with the radio....

out

• 2 years later...

The only thing i miss about my S10, was the block right on the fender. It had 4 bolts...2 were constant 12v, the other were switched. You could crimp wire loops to your accessories and hook them to the studs, then tighten the nut down...simple engineering by GM. I loved it. It was like, the truck was MADE to add accessories.

Archived