HELP!! Ignition stuck. Key won't turn

Folks-

My 2001 1500 LT Silverado Z-71 is acting up. 45k miles.

I can't start the truck.

I put the key in the ignition, and the key won't move in either direction.

The security and auto locking system seem to work fine.

I tried the spare key with the same no good result.

The steering wheel is not locked.

I have tried jiggling the wheel, turning the wheel lock to lock, and rocking the truck. No go.

Then I lubricated the lock cylinder, and heated it up with a hair dryer to see if that would loosen things up. No go.

Any ideas? It has stuck once or twice in the last two weeks, but it didn't seem to be anything serious. A couple of wiggles, and the key came free and the truck started fine. This is much worse.

To complicate matters, my driveway runs downhill away from the house. The truck is backed up to the house, so it may be a b***h to tow, if I can't get it going. (Will I have to have the driveshaft disconnected before towing it?

Thanks for any help.

Regards-David :confused:

I tried the spare key with the same no good result.

The steering wheel is not locked.

I have tried jiggling the wheel, turning the wheel lock to lock, and rocking the truck. No go.

Odd..

Thats all I was going to suggest to try

Good luck! Back to top for you!

Mike

I've had a similar problem on a Dodge van. May not work with GM. When I put it in Park, the shifter drops into a small indent. Sometimes if I don't sort-of push the shift level down into the indent (toward the speedo...away from me) the key won't turn even though the tranny is in "P".

Hope that works,

Bluesman

did you happen to turn your wheels to one direction? A relatives camry ignition became stuck. I played with it and found the front wheels were turned to one way. I played with the key and forced it forward. It became unstuck them. Also my moms blazer has done this when the wheels were turned to one way

Thanks for the help guys, but my trusk is still down.

Interestingly, the steering wheel is not locked.

I just went out and jumped up and down on the rear bumper, then bushed the car back and forth while parked, trying to get it to lock, unlock, etc.

It looks like I am off to the dealer.

Any last minute ideas would be appreciated.

I'll be up for awhile.

Thanks-David

Look on your steering column where the shifter mechanism attaches to the shifter cable. On the opposite side there is a rod that attahes to a little black box with a black electrical connector with a green keeper. Undo the rod from the linkage and see if you move the shifter and get the key to move. If that doesn't work there is a little cable that goes from the shifter mech to the ignition switch. This is what makes the key impossible to turn off while in gear. Undo the side on the ignition switch. Maybe that will help.

If not, make sure you have the park brake frimly engaged, then get under the truck. Where the tranny shifting cable attaches to the trans make sure everything looks right there.

Hope this helps.

Archived