Photo
- - - - -

What is Dex-Cool compatible?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 JeffF

JeffF

Enthusiast

• 92 posts
  • Drives:2014 Silverado LTZ

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:21 PM

Well, I went to the GM dealer yesterday to buy a gallon of Dex-Cool to keep around and use to top off the overflow. I think someone here said to keep it above the normal fill lines on the overflow bottle. So I picked up the gallon, went to pay, and the lady said it was $22!!! Ouch! Still in shock, I bought it anyway. (Although, I think its going back.)

What can I use as a substitute. I see Prestone makes their extended life stuff that is compatible with Dex-Cool and I also saw Havoline is compatible.

Any pro recommendations? Anything to stay away from?

I don't think there would be a difference vs. using the GM stuff. But, I just want to make sure.

Thanks.

#2 asepgrad98

asepgrad98

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,284 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:07 PM

the Havoline is good, but im sure if it says dexcool on jug it should be ok. And cut it with distilled water instead of tap so there will be no clorine or minerals in there that your engine doesnt need
2002 Silverado 5.3L 2WD Ext. cab
Escalade door handles
Amber DRLs
15.61@87mph stock

#3 seadoons

seadoons

Enthusiast

• 860 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:16 PM

I use the prestone gm-dexcool approved stuff - it even comes pre-mixed with water if you don't want to mix it yourself...then you can just pour it straight into the tank. It under $8 bucks at walmart when I bought it a few weeks ago.

Edited by seadoons, 14 January 2004 - 04:20 PM.

Posted Image

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71 LS 5.3L - Forrest Green

Factory Installed Options: Autotrac, limited slip diff., painted fender flares, trailer towing package

Aftermarket Additions: BFG 285/75/16 All-Terrains, 16x8 Chrome American Racing Python Wheels, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Westin nerf bars, manik brush guard, KC lights on the guard, spray in bedliner, Delta chest-style tool box, 2 10" Xtant subs in a thunderform box, 20% tint for the front windows.

#4 lrymal

lrymal

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,994 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:18 PM

Gosh, just go to Wal-Mart. Last time I checked, Dexcool was half that price. I'm sure other resellers are equally cheap. Don't ever go by the dealer to get items like this. They really pad the price.

-------------

2014 GMC 4WD SLT Crew Cab - Bronze

408637871.jpg

#5 carguru

carguru

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,368 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:55 PM

GM Dexcool was originally made by Havoline. You can get the Havoline stuff and it should work just fine. Just make sure to use distilled water to mix.
2004 Tahoe Z71, Black/Tan, Bilsteins, Hotchkis F/R sways, 3M Scotchcal, BFG A/T KO

2011 Silverado LTZ Z71, Sheer Silver/Light-Dark Titanium, Peragon bed cover, Bedrug

DC  Posted Image

#6 MattDewalt

MattDewalt

Enthusiast

• 119 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 07:45 AM

Peak Global, it's compatible with any automotive coolant on the market. Buy a gallon of that for $9 and you don't have to keep different types of coolant on the shelf for all of your vehicles. You can use it to top off any exisiting coolant as well as for complete flushes. I work at a collision shop and we used to stock coolant for all the manufacturers. It got to be really expensive plus a hassle to keep track of what cars used what coolant. Now we just have one type on the shelf.

#7 GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat

Enthusiast

• 650 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:57 AM

Havoline is real Dex-cool. I would buy that.

I know someone that owns a company that rebuilds those old Cadillac 4.9L pushrod V8's. These are weird wet-sleeve engines with an aluminum block and iron heads, backwards from the norm. These engines had major combustion chamber leakage problems due to corrosion and such. Anyway, he said they will ONLY use genuine Dex-cool, NOT Prestone's Dex-cool compatible stuff because it doesn't have as good anti-corrosion properties as real Dex-cool.

Anyway, I personally would avoid the Prestone stuff. Not to mention, I used to run Prestone green coolant in my car and the head gaskets corroded from the inside out despite having changed the coolant annually.
Shawn
Posted Image

#8 DSBall

DSBall

Enthusiast

• 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:01 AM

GM Dexcool was originally made by Havoline. You can get the Havoline stuff and it should work just fine. Just make sure to use distilled water to mix.

Thats Correct :thumbs: