Converting 350 tbi to 350 carbureted

I am new to this forum and looking for any help on this project. I also posted this in classic tucks. I have just completed taking out my factory 305 carbureted motor out of a 1972 c-10 pickup. I have a 1988 350 tbi, 56,000 miles, that was given to me. Now I need to figure out how to put that in my truck. 1) I am wanting to convert the 350 tbi to carbureted. Will some please let me know what I need to do to make this conversion happen. Thanks in advance. Ryan

You will have to change the whole fuel system since the pump hooked to the carb. with the pressure will flood ot out.

Why not just put the 305 in and use the TB. injection. Lots simpler. The whole injection will work OK. but you might have to change the e-prom to a 305 ci. memcal shouldnt cost more then $20-30 dollars for the OEM. chip. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

You can get by with the current fuel pump by using a pressure regulator to "turn down" the pressure, otherwise disconnect the OEM fuel pump and install an aftermarket one.

Fuel injection does use a much higher pressure so you will have to do something about it when going from fuel injection to carb but it's not a difficult problem to overcome.

• 4 months later...

You can use an older intake manifold, you just need to bore out the 2 center bolt holes on each side of the manifold, and gaskets arn't a problem either. Felpro even has a gasket for this exact use. Then any carb will bolt up to the older manifold. I'd use a hei igntion out of a 85 and older 350, if you want to save money, or buy a new unit that is vacuum advanced.

• 2 months later...

This problem may have been covered before but I'm going to ask anyway.

The engine swap I have just done is installing a crate motor into a friends

mint "94 burb 4x4.The crate engine is a 330 hp "deluxe" with a carb and "coil in

cap" HEI distributer.The Holley carb is being used at the cust. request.This distrib. isn't compatible with the 4L60E trans.

After installing a TPS,knock and MAP sensor and using the original external coil

distrib. the power isn't great.It was timed as per factory specs.Does anyone

have any ideas what I've overlooked? Any suggestions on overiding the trans

inputs so the coil in cap distrib. can be used?

thanks

Archived