NAV and 6 disk changer in a Silverado

Just wanted to post a pic of my finished install. Everything works good, just need to get to the dealer next week to program my AMP for my surroundings. The AMP came out of a Hummer, so i need them to program it like a sierra denali to make it sound better. Right off the bat this AMP sounds TONS better than the stock silverado AMPs, much more adjustments and sound clearity. Cant wait till its tweeked. There were some small wiring MODs that were needed at the AMP and a little trimming to do to get the 6 disk changer in the console, but it looks sharp, and best of all...it looks like it came from the factory like this. I have to thank SPERRY and Pbuilder for helping me out with the DOCs i needed to make the wiring changes!

done.JPG

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Linda,

It looks really nice. I'd definitely like to do something like that in my Sierra sometime. I'd like to add XM too if possible tho too. I'll have to go back and look throught the previous posts to see what all you needed to put this together.

well, with help from numorous people ive acquirred the needed documents and wiring schematics to do it with ease now. So let me know if your gonna give it a shot and i can make it pretty easy to do for you. The hard part is finding the pieces. The NAV head unit, the AMP, and the 6 disk changer will set you back a few pennies, but in my opinion its a really nice setup. Best of all you retain a nice factory look.

well, with help from numorous people ive acquirred the needed documents and wiring schematics to do it with ease now. So let me know if your gonna give it a shot and i can make it pretty easy to do for you. The hard part is finding the pieces. The NAV head unit, the AMP, and the 6 disk changer will set you back a few pennies, but in my opinion its a really nice setup. Best of all you retain a nice factory look.

I didn't see any close ups showing the bezel around the changer. I'm guessing that was a custom fabrication or do they put the seperate 6 in dash cd into Tahoes so you could borrow parts. Did the amp need to have the VIN reprogrammed by the dealer like the Nav Headunit? Your install looks great! Great job!

actually it was a custom cut. A steady hand a straight edge and a razor knife was what i used. there is a pocket there on the bezel normaly and what i did was take some measurements on how deep into the pocket i need to go to get a nice tight fit. 3/16" from the face i traced a straight line around the outside of the bezel, except the top of the bezel which needs to be traced on the inside because of the molded plastic reinforcements. The plastic is soft enough that after scoring it a few times it cuts right through. Suprisingly enough to me...NOTHING needed to be programmed to work other than you will need to have the theftlock removed at the dealer. There is a way to get around the theftlock, but its only temporary. Even the 6 disk changer worked perfectly without needing to be programmed. I will however be taking it in to be tweeked to my enviornment.....the AMP needs to be setup as if it were in a Sierra Denali as i have a silverado ext. cab. Also no, there is not an option for the in dash 6 cd changer in the Tahoe...only the Yukon denali and escalades. As of now the AMP and system sounds way better than the other AMP did, i cant wait to hear it tweeked out for my truck. Oh, and here is a close up shot that you wanted......

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/...&cat=500&page=1

a little trimming to do to get the 6 disk changer in the console, but it looks sharp, and best of all

linda,

everything looks nice. :loser: i'm trying to install the 6 disc changer in my yukon and i can't find the cable to connect the cd changer to the radio. if you don't mind, please tell me where you got the cable (or harness) to connect the 6 disc changer. thanks.

Linda,

It is something I would like to do in the future, definitely. I've seen the other aftermarket nav systems and like how the factory one looks. How are you getting the theftlock problem fixed? I'm also a little confused about you saying the amp still needs tweaking. Right now I have the Bose system with the integrated 6CD unit.

Poonis: In order to make the changer work you need a head unit with changer abilities....i dont think the 6 disk head unit will controll a changer (cause its already a changer). If you have a head unit like the single disk or single disk + cassette, you can probably add the changer to those. What you need to do is get yourself a 9 pin patch cable from GM, part #15312903. Then you remove the pins from the connector on one end (the other end will plug into the changer). Then follow the correct schematic on pluging the pins into the 12 way connector on the back of the head unit. When you get to that point, i can show you where they hook up. Remember, any GM vehicle 2003 and up is using a common classII data wire for communication. If your vehicle is 2003 or newer, you will need a changer that has classII capabilities.

Bigdogs: You can TEMPORARILY bypass theftlock by doing the following:

1. turn the key to ACC

2. wait for the "theftlock" screen to apear

3. unplug the main harness from the back of the radio for 3-5 seconds

4. plug it back in with the key still in the ACC position (ACC...not RUN)

5. radio will work as normal until the key is turned off

when i say the AMP needs tweeking, what i mean is that these high end AMPs are programmed depending on what type of truck cabin they are in. The escalade exts have 6 speakers i think, and the Denalis have 8. I think the Hummers have 8 also, while the sierra denalis have 6. So you program your AMP for the type of cabin you have, so it sounds full and rich.

Poonis: In order to make the changer work you need a head unit with changer abilities....i dont think the 6 disk head unit will controll a changer (cause its already a changer). If you have a head unit like the single disk or single disk + cassette, you can probably add the changer to those. What you need to do is get yourself a 9 pin patch cable from GM, part #15312903. Then you remove the pins from the connector on one end (the other end will plug into the changer). Then follow the correct schematic on pluging the pins into the 12 way connector on the back of the head unit. When you get to that point, i can show you where they hook up. Remember, any GM vehicle 2003 and up is using a common classII data wire for communication. If your vehicle is 2003 or newer, you will need a changer that has classII capabilities.

Bigdogs: You can TEMPORARILY bypass theftlock by doing the following:

1. turn the key to ACC

2. wait for the "theftlock" screen to apear

3. unplug the main harness from the back of the radio for 3-5 seconds

4. plug it back in with the key still in the ACC position (ACC...not RUN)

5. radio will work as normal until the key is turned off

Linda, I drive a 03 Yukon and have the single disc head unit with cassette (just like the one's that came with 03 Denali). I just ordered the patch cable from GMPartsDirect just now and hopefully it will come soon. Now I can get the dust off the 6-cd changer. I hope to talk to you when I get my patch cable so you can show me how to complete the cable connection. Thanks again. :loser:

sure....just let me know. Are you sure the changer you have is an 03' or newer? Also, maybe i should have mentioned.....you will need to know how to solder a little as well. You can alsways use crimps i guess, but im a big solder fan.

Are you sure the changer you have is an 03' or newer? Also, maybe i should have mentioned.....you will need to know how to solder a little as well. You can alsways use crimps i guess, but im a big solder fan.

How can one tell if the changer is 03 or not? :cool:

Archived