Headlight OverRide System

Hey people,

Just joined the members area here, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a URL that is valid to where I can buy the kit that is talked about under the R&D Head Light Override how-to article. I followed the link and did a few searches and came up with nothing. I am not sure what the kit is called or what the part number would be. Basically for those who dont know what it is, it allows you to switch on or off the sentinel/automatica headlights so you are able to control the headlights on your own. I am a volunteer firefighter/emt so I need to be able to turn off the headlights without having to shut down the truck and put the e-brake down a click then restarting. Its for a 99 Silverado K1500 Extended cab if that matters. Thanks.

-Brian

Thanks for the link. I figured someone may have already asked. I tried to find something in the threads but couldnt figure out how to go to the next page lol. Thanks again I will see what I can find out. If nothing else, I may have to go towards the idea of swapping out the BCM.

The weather here is supposed to warm up by this weekend. Hopefully I'll have some time to work on the truck. I'd like to try the underdash fix. Sounds like the easiest way to go. No taking the dash apart. :loser:

BTW - If you do swap out the BCM, let us know how it goes.

Nope, you cant do that on the 99 models. Only way to be able to control the headlights is to push the e-brake down at least 1 click PRIOR to starting the vehicle. Pushing the dome light does nothing. Apparently GM realized what a stupid feature it was and fixed it so at least people could turn it off when the 2000 models rolled around. Still having no luck finding this company that sells this kit. I've seen different versions of the company name. Maybe no one has the name right. Ive seen R & D Automotive, R & D Truck and Auto Accessories, and R & D Truck. Any ideas which is correct? I've looked around for something even comparable, and google is turning up a bunch of crap for results.

• 3 weeks later...

I just pulled out the DRL fuse under the hood to take care of the DRLs. I might put LED lights in there in the near future. But I really need to find an easy solution to fix the headlight override system. I'm a volunteer firefighter/emt and when I get on scene, I need to be able to turn off my headlights. I currently have to shut the truck off, set the parking brake, and restart it otherwise my battery will go dead from the emergency lights hehe. I've looked on ebay for that kit even and talked to a buddy who works at a GM dealership who has been looking around for something even comparable. Someone must have some kind of kit that is at least somewhat comparable and is able to do the same thing. They dont recommend changing out the BCM as it might cause problems.

OK GUYS.........Heres the procedure to disable the Auto-Ons in a 99-02.

NO tearing up the dash either ! Sorry I can't find the url for pics anymore!

But its easy..........I did it to my 01 !

You will need a pair of wire cutters, a 1.5k ohm 1/2 watt resistor, elec. tape/

and or wire nuts.

Remove neg. batt. terminal.

Locate the BCM(body control module) which is under the dash near steering

column.

Locate the purple connector (C-3) Unplug it.

Locate the white and gray wires (A-4 & A-6) I don't remember if white is

A-4 or gray is A-6. Don't matter anyway.

Clip these 2 wires coming off the plug. Leave a few inches off plug to work

with. Tape or wire nut the end of the wires that are going up under the dash.

They go to the light sensor on the dash.............

You have now removed the light sensor from the circuit and it is now a dash

ornament !.............LOL

Connect the gray wire coming from the plug to one end of the resistor and the

white wire to the other end of the resistor. Tape or wire nut these connections.

Now plug in the C-3 connector to the BCM.

Re-connect the neg. batt. cable. Start truck and and make sure lights are off.

Throw a dark towel over light sensor on dash and verify the lights stay off !

If so you are done !

The DRLs will still work so you will have to remove bulbs to kill them or

pull a fuse in some models.

Good Luck......................geo :P

Archived