sticky gas pedal

Just wondering if you guys have a detailed procedure on how to clean out the throttle body? Also has anyone have taken their truck back to the dealership to get the procedure done?

im having the same problem and yes im taking it back to the dealer(while still under warrenty)

had the same thing on my 98 Z28 and on my 01 Z71 . i got into

the habit of cleaning the tb every 6000 mi. when service is done

i would check it between oil change at 3000 mi. if you are getting a

large build up between checks then you better look into it.

Ok, so I finally attempted cleaning the throttle body this past weekend. I bought some STP Throttle Body Cleaner. When I pulled off the air duct, it didn't look that dirty inside. I sprayed some cleaner in with the Throttle Body Plate closed and wiped it all out as best as possible. Then I opened up the plate and cleaned where the plate sits. I did not spray any into the throttle body with the plate open.

Well, the gas pedal is still a little sticky. When you guys clean it, how much do you spray. I did not want to spray too much in and ruin things. Do you spray with the throttle body plate open?

Let me know!

Thanks!!!

Best bet is to take the throttle body completely off the intake and clean it. I changed over to the oroficed PCV on my 99 and have not had a problem with the TB or intake getting all nastified and sticky again. I took my TB off and cleaned it AND the inside of the intake some. Also bought some of that GM top end cleaner and used it too.

I took off my air intake and looked inside the TB. Oh :) , I guess the rest of the engine guts look a lot like that. Figured spraying in there was half :cheers: ed, so I'm going to remove the TB tomorrow and really clean things out. The gasket was a couple bucks and so was cleaner. Changed PCV valve today. Hope I can shoot pictures and right up good result later. :chevy:

is there any certain process or certain steps that you need to know about to clean a throttle body?  I get a little nervous when I start monkeyin' around with something  like that which i've never tinkered with before. :cheers:

All you need to do is go to the auto parts store grab a can of throttle body cleaner. Go home take the air intake hose off open the butterfly valve give the whole thing a good coat of cleaner take a rag and clean it off you might need to spray a few more time because I'm sure the inside of your throttle body will be full of nasty black stuff. Oh and make sure that you give the butter fly valve a good coat on the joints so that it is lubed up good. :chevy:

THanks silverado man

I come up to NE Kansas and chase deer around in the fall, you hunt any around up there?

No I never really got into hunting but I did grow up on a farm though. Where do you go hunting at? I'm originally from Baileyville (Nemaha County). My dad use to rent out his land to hunters.

The last couple of years I have hunted north of Holton. I have some family that lives north of their in a little town called Wetmore.

is there any certain process or certain steps that you need to know about to clean a throttle body?  I get a little nervous when I start monkeyin' around with something  like that which i've never tinkered with before. :cheers:

All you need to do is go to the auto parts store grab a can of throttle body cleaner. Go home take the air intake hose off open the butterfly valve give the whole thing a good coat of cleaner take a rag and clean it off you might need to spray a few more time because I'm sure the inside of your throttle body will be full of nasty black stuff. Oh and make sure that you give the butter fly valve a good coat on the joints so that it is lubed up good. :chevy:

THanks silverado man

I come up to NE Kansas and chase deer around in the fall, you hunt any around up there?

No I never really got into hunting but I did grow up on a farm though. Where do you go hunting at? I'm originally from Baileyville (Nemaha County). My dad use to rent out his land to hunters.

The last couple of years I have hunted north of Holton. I have some family that lives north of their in a little town called Wetmore.

I know where Wetmore is it is only about 30-45 min. from my home town. I'm still farther north than that. I'm sure that is a good area to hunt because of all the tree lines and stuff. :)

Just wondering if you guys have a detailed procedure on how to clean out the throttle body? Also has anyone have taken their truck back to the dealership to get the procedure done?

im having the same problem and yes im taking it back to the dealer(while still under warrenty)

well guys i got my car done today and what a difference :wtf: "REDZ-71"was right it just takes right off.just like it did when it was brand new.theyeven adjusted the throttle linkage :thumbs:

• 4 years later...
I know that it might sound strange but it is your throttle body, I had the exact same problem as you and it took me about 10 minutes to fix the problem. My gas pedal seemed to feel sticky when I went to take off from idle but after I took the short time to clean, it now it's as smooth as silk, it's not sticking at all! Give it a try and let us know how you make out! :thumbs:

i have a 1988 c1500 with the same problem. can you give me your idea on what steps i need to take, and if i need any solvent?

• 2 years later...

Hi does anyone know what this problem is. My truck starts but once I put it in drive and tap on the gas pedal the truck shut off. I change fuel pump 2 time already and still does the same problem. If anyone can help me please sent me a message about the problem. The truck is a 1999 Chevy suburban 1500. Thank you

• 1 year later...

You are brilliant. My gas pedal was stuck so badly today I was stranded 30 miles from home. A passerby was able to help me get it unstuck by manipulating the valve. When I got home I was prepared to take it to the dealership for $$$. A $4 can of throttle cleaner later and my gas pedal is operating smoother than the past 8 years I've owned this truck. Thanks for a well written diagnosis and easy to follow repair steps.

Archived