Compass/temp mirror problem

I recall reading a post concerning what is happening to my compass temp display on my rear view mirror, but have been unable to find the post in a search. Anyway on two different occasions I've experienced a situation where the whole display on the mirror goes blank and the green light at the bottom right of the mirror flashes off. In a split second the light comes back on and the entire display window lights up. It acts like there is a momentary power failure. On both days this has happened it has been raining outside. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and what to look for. (Does anyone know where the temp sensor is located?) Maybe water is getting in a break in insulation on a wire? It seems to work fine on dry days. BTW my truck is an 01, LT Z71. Any help would be appreiciated.

Thanks in advance

Vroten :thumbs:

I'm not sure of your problem, but I know where the sensor is. It is located in front of the radiator behind the grille. I have only seen one other post about this that I can remember. Someone said something about driving it in circles to recalibrate the compass, but this doesn't sound like the problem you are having. Sorry, not much info for you. Hope you get it figured out.

Which side of the grille? Driver or passenger? Anybody know exactly what this thing looks like?

Again, thanks for any help?

Vroten :thumbs:

The sensor is on the driver's side, but I don't think that is your problems. The temperature sensor carries very little current and will not shut the mirror down if shorted. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of the sensor later this afternoon. I would suggest checking the power connections at the mirror. These should be the 2 wires that are close together on the one side of the mirror connector. The temperature sensor wire is the single wire on the opposite side of the connector at the back of the mirror.

• 3 years later...

Hey I am having this same exact problem. During snow and ice my display does the same exact thing! It'll be fine, then all of a sudden it goes...

"blink, blink, blink." In a steady tempo.

I work at a Chevy dealership and the guys out back don't know what it could be either.

hmmmm. anyone out there with this problem?

Mine is an 04 1500.

I also experience this in my 06, only when raining or snowing, and only when less than 40 degrees outside. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all, and sometimes it will do it several times in a row. When it does it several times in a row, I usually unplug the mirror so it doesn't screw something up.

I always assumed that I screwed something up when installing it, but now that I know that others are having the exact same issue, I don't feel so bad.

Not to hijack, but along the same lines, my auto-dark feature seems to be full dark all the time. I've only had my '05 since October, so I don't know if it's a weather thing (been pretty darn cold here in New England).

If I put my finger over the sensor the mirror lightens up (I can see the compass/temp LED pulse with each mirror lighten).

I've thought about putting some tape over it, but then it won't work properly at night. This darkening happens during daylight hours.

Again, if this warrants a new thread, I'll move it...

-travis

Not to hijack, but along the same lines, my auto-dark feature seems to be full dark all the time. I've only had my '05 since October, so I don't know if it's a weather thing (been pretty darn cold here in New England).

If I put my finger over the sensor the mirror lightens up (I can see the compass/temp LED pulse with each mirror lighten).

I've thought about putting some tape over it, but then it won't work properly at night. This darkening happens during daylight hours.

Again, if this warrants a new thread, I'll move it...

-travis

Travis, I had the same problem last month. I had to replace the mirror.

It started doing it again tonight, and I was able to get some video of it on my cell phone.

It started happening as I was going over a pass. The temperature dropped to below 30, and it started snowing heavily when the mirror started acting up. The mirror was fine after I went over the pass, although the temperature stayed the same and the snow fall stayed the same.

Your loosing power I would use a tool we have but you can just get the SAME pin that is in the mirror and insert it in each of the cavities in the connector and make sure there is a good amount of drag none too loose. Same pin is important you really can't eyeball these things and if you use a size too small they will all feel loose too big and you'll ruin all of the terminals. I'll see if I can dig up a # but It will probably be Monday.

If you just want to pull it apart and look at the pins see if something looks amiss you could. Depending on what were working on there are different pin configurations. All the options look like they have the same wire colors for power and ground though. 2 power (light green and pink) and 1 ground (black) one of these circuits is the issue if it is not the mirror itself.

Archived