Gibson 3" Single Catback

I had a Gibson 3" single exhaust catback on my previous truck (94 Ford F-150, 5.0 Liter) and was very pleased with it. It was quiet inside, sounded good outside and picked up performance and fuel economy.

I found a good price on one for my new GMC so, based on previous experience, I bought it.

PROs:

Fuel economy went up approximately 1 MPG and there is a slight performance increase.

Fit was pretty good and the product quality is very good.

CONs:

It's not any lighter than stock (heavy gauge metal, huge muffler).

It's louder inside the cab than my previous Ford was. It sounds like an inline 6 cylinder (smooth constant tone). It's reasonably quiet at extremely low loads but on deceleration or any slight load increase it makes its presence known.

Outside, it sounds really good.

I wanted it for fuel economy gains and it delivered. I guess I'll have to learn to live with the increase in noise!

Everyone is probably tired of me complaining about my Gibson exhaust.

I hate it happened to you too. It seems the GM trucks and Gibson just don't

get along. Mine drones like a B17. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the Gibson Super Truck series about a month ago. And you want to talk about a sound difference. At idle, standing outside, it sounds like a throaty z-28 (really like). At idle, inside, deep resonation, can feel the pressure change. Under throttle, inside, still pretty heavy. At cruise speed, not bad at all. After heavy throttle and letting wind back down, you get a very distinct rumble. I can not tell you what it sounds like while running, standing outside, because my wife is not allowed to play with my stuff :puke: ! All in all, the two reasons I bought it was for a distinct sound and no one around here had one. Although it was a bit of a gamble, since I never heard it before.

In addition, when I later installed the K&N FIPK Gen 2, the sound changed and become a little deeper under throttle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I put a Gibson Super truck system on my truck last winter and it drove me nuts. Way too loud in the cab especially at 2000 rpms which so happens to be highway cruising speed. I drive 100 highway miles a day so after a month I took it off and put the stock exhaust back on. Considering buying a Magnaflow system. Does anyone have it?:)

I installed a Magnaflow dual-rear system on my '02 5.3L about a month ago. It has a nice growl to it when accelerating, and is quiet at highway cruising speeds. It does drone at about 1500 rpm, but you get used to it. My wife hates it.

I'm in the rust belt, so I went with stainless.

• 3 weeks later...

I have often posted about this topic, and still to this day preach the benefits of not so well known solutions. Most of the top names simply spend their money on heir marketing budget, telling you how mandrel bending is so great, when in reality it's great if you have about 600bhp. I have had Gibsons, and never really liked the interior resonance drone, the others I have not tried but they are all twice as pricey as simply heading to local shops and getting their opinions as well. I ended up with a Goerlichs Xlerator www.goerlichs.com a straight through flow, like a massive glass pack,and had the shop do twins out the sides. This is absolutely the best gamble I have taken with no name products. I still keep the window down just to hear it, it has great off the line punch, a sweet rasp at WOT and barely any resonance at cruise or regular speeds, but when you get on it, you know it. I just love the setup, it's what I went for. I use Mobil 1 synth, a K&N drop in and the Goerlichs setup, and get 20-21 mpg regularly.

• 1 month later...
What exhaust system do you all recommend if the Gibson is to loud?

I have the Corsa Sport system on my '02 5.3L and I love it. It's loud when I want it to be (passing a cell phone user with his window down), and very quiet when I want some peace like on the highway cruising. I'd buy it again in a second.

Do you know what kind of difference there is in sound level between the Sport and the Touring systems. I'm interested in the Corsa system's too.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I just came across this thread and thought I'd throw my .02 in because my experience differs from the comments above. I have the Gibson single out installed on my 2003 Avalanche and love it. You can barely hear it inside the cab, there is no drone or resonance. From outside it has a nice deep tone to it that doesn't get too loud even when accelerating hard. I agree there's really no weight savings over the stock system, the muffler is barely smaller than stock. I wonder if there could be that much difference between the Avalanche and Pickup versions of the exhaust or if its just the difference in the construction of the vehicles themselves.

Archived