Rear Window Leaking

Rained like cats and dogs the other day and after I parked, I happened to look into the back and noticed water leaking in through the rear window (behind the passenger seat) right next to the sliding part of the window. The water looked like it was coming in from the top.

Model is a 1999 1/2 GMC Sierra 1500... anyone else have this problem, and if so, any way to fix it w/o going to the d@mn dealership? The truck is not in warranty anymore.

Could try to put a bead of clear silicone along the top of the window....

Or you can take it to a glass shop...

I've also seen sliding windows leak during a DRIVING rain cause the wind forces the water past the seals

Join the crowd my friend,my 99 2wd sierras' sliding window leaks big time as well. As I am writing this we are getting a nice thunderstorm and I am sure the water is flowing in nicely :rolleyes: I have a price from a local company to install a CR Lawrence slider for $275. I also read your post about the crazy fuel gauge and as I said earlier,join the crowd!

I'm on my 4th sliding rear window now, had it replaced under warranty 3 times. The OEM ones had Plastic frames, and they cracked in the upper corners and water just poured in. Finally the dealer had a metal-framed CL Lawrence Slider in, no problems for the last three years. Good thing too...been out of warranty for 3 years. (99 Z71 rc/sb) :rolleyes:

I've got a 99' Silverado with a CR Lawrence sliding rear window that leaks, but only when I take it to a car wash and it is hit with a lot of water at high pressure. It hasn't leaked on me in rain yet, but it has been raining here in MI a lot lately, so you never know. :flag:

Where's it leaking from? Is it the seal between the window frame and the cab, or the sliding rear window assembly itself? I wonder if this is something for me to look forword to in the future. What does it take to keep water out of the cabin of these NBS trucks? I havent heard of any problems with the regular rear windows, but I really love being able to open that window behind me, makes for a nice breeze when the weather's right.

The OEM ones had Plastic frames, and they cracked in the upper corners and water just poured in.

That was the same problem as mine.

When the OEM slider started leaking on my 2000 GMC K2500 (frame cracked in 2 places) the dealer had to replace it w/ the CR Lawrence manual unit. I had the truck for 2 more years & no problems w/ it. I had them install another 1 before I picked up my '04. Last week I was behind 2 other GMT800s that had the CR Lawrence sliders installed, so there must be alot of them out there.

I'll check to see who is making the new sliders we'll be using in the '05s.

• 6 years later...

I have the same problem, dealer looked at it and said for 500 dollars they could put in a new frame. i do believe there are cracks in it. I caulked it with gobs of Rubber Butyl and that looks pretty bad,

now it still leaks and i think I may have to get a new frame and window and forget the sliding glass. I never use it anyway now that the kids who broke it going in and out are grown

any ideas on cost of a new frame and solid window? :seeya:

My 2002 ext cab that I had a while back also leaked from the same place,...but I did not have a rear sliding window. Come to find out the seal on the Third brake light dried up and leaked really bad. Resealed the third brake light and no more leak.

My 2002 ext cab that I had a while back also leaked from the same place,...but I did not have a rear sliding window. Come to find out the seal on the Third brake light dried up and leaked really bad. Resealed the third brake light and no more leak.

I had the exact thing happen to my '05 regular cab. The headliner was getting wet above the window and caused it to drip behind the seats. The dealer had a good idea what it was before they even looked at it. They've seen several just like it.

Archived