CB antenna?

What antenna are you guys using for your cb? I have this mount: tmrce_1779_1388676.jpg from the ZR2. I am going to use this on the 2500. Instead of my 4ft firestick, I was thinking about just using a thru-the-glass antenna.

Any pics/ideas?

With the firestick I was able to get out well over 20-30 miles when wheeling in the backwoods. It is somewhat a needed item when doing that!

I have the old style (pre 95) standard side mirrors which means no plastic. I have a 90*degree plate with a U-bolt around the mirror arm. I feed the co-ax through the gap between the hood and the plastic then between the door and the cab. I only have a 3' wilson silver load antenna because that was what fit in the garage and i get decent range with it.

My radio is a Cobra 21XLR with the dynamike... pretty basic... no RF gain knob or fancy stuff like that but it'll squawk with anyone.

With the newer plastic mirros and stuff, I would get a tool box and bolt stuff to that. If I didn't have the pre 95 mirrors I'd go with the tool box mount.

I have a cobra 25 and I use the mounting bracket that is suppose to bolt around your side view mirrior posts. I have half of it bolted to the top rail on the bed and usually use 102" whip ant. but now I just use a 2' ft fiberglass ant. so that I can park in the parking garage at work. I get decent reception with but like the whip ant. alot better.

I would try to get it is a free of space as posible. Right behind the cab creates some serious "holes" in the recv and xmit antenna pattern. Out on the bed rail while not a clean looking can work a lot better RF wise.

I have a k40 magnet mount on my roof. I only use it on long road trips when I get bored, and when I am driving with my buddies, so most of the time I unhook the antenna and just have the mount up there. I move it around periodically so I don't fade one spot of the paint, and clean out under it so I don't scratch my roof completley.

On the roof is the best spot if you can deal with it. I semi permanent way to put a mag mount on is to wax area of truck were it will be and put a light layer of silicone sealent on magnet area and stick it on the truck. You will be able to remove it with a little extra effort and be able rub silicone off but it will keep mount for walking on roof and scratching paint and also keep moisture out and prevent possible rusting.

I have the 5' Wilson Silverload, mentioned above, mounted in the front "stake hole" on the driver's side using the bracket shown in the link. I just drilled the holes in the 'stake pocket' from the inside of the bed placing the antenna part of the bracket on the bed side and the clamp part of the bracket down inside the 'stake pocket'.

I ran the antenna cable through an existing hole in the floorboard, sealing it with RTV, and then up through the 'pee hole' in the front corner of the bed. Crimped a new fitting onto the cable and connected to the base of the antenna.

Seems to work well.

I'm reading the posts here. The On-Glass style CB antenna is fine if you really don't need or care about range.

Read this article, it gives great info about antennas and the best place to mount them.

http://www.olypen.com/craigh/ant-info.htm

I've got an antenna mount on the front fender of my Jimmy. I've got a 48" whip I put on for roadtrips.

IM002412-vi.jpg

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Archived