Problems with factory Bose/CD player

I just picked up a 99 Denali, and everything in it works good except the factory cd player and 6-disc changer. For some reason the head (unit that is also a tape player) won't reconize that a CD is even in the changer. The little CD symbol doesn't even show up on the stereo information screen. I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to a stereo system therefore I am clueless about what is going on here. Do I need a new head unit? Also we tried a portable cd player with a tape adapter and it only played music through one side on the speakers. The regular radio works fine and the 6-disc seems to work as far a loading CD's, but the remote CD player wont play nor will it return the CD until about 30 seconds after you shut the vehicle off. I dont have a warranty on the vehicle so I can't take it to the dealer. Anybody have any suggestions?

take it to the dealer and pay out of the a$$, or take it to a car audio shop and pay out the a$$

With a bose system, there's not much you can do yourself (unless you're a master stereo fixer) and alot of car audio shops won't touch bose... so if it's really a problem, prepare to pay the dealer to fix it. Otherwise, I'd just consider it a minor inconvienence and use the disk changer instad of dishing out the big bucks.

Of course if it wasn't bose it'd be alot easier to fix!

if it doesn't play the CDs only in the head unit, then most likely someone before stuck a dirty CD in there, and messed up the eye. Also if you play burned CDs that you burned at about 16X or higher, you may get some problems there too.

If it's the CD burning, the just slow the burning down to 12X or below, I usually go at 8X just to be safe.

But if it's the headunit, you can get the dealer to check it out, and if they say replace the HU, then your best bet is to change the HU to a bose compatible HU

sounds like the headunit, but it might be something as simple as a bad connection. i honestly dont know though. and it's odd that it only plays music out of one side of the car :puke: before i payed the dealer to give me a new headunit i'd go to a salvage yard and get one. just make sure that's what you need first. usually a salvage isn't near as proud of their stuff as the dealer is

Archived