Test towed a 44 ft gooseneck

I'm in the market for a new race car gooseneck trailer to haul my cars around.I test pulled a 44 ft Pace gooseneck trailer yesterday with my 2500 HD Duramax/Allison with air bags.I put around 40 miles on it without any drama.It pulled straight and smoother than my current 28 ft tag.Trailer weighs 6900 lbs with a 1300 lb pin weight.I was told on this board that I wouldn't be able to do it and let me tell you it was not only the longest trailer I've ever pulled but the smoothest.I fall within the weight rating even with 2 cars in the trailer.I going to make a decision over the weekend on buying it or not.

Long trailers pull nice but I would not go that large myself with a regular P/U as a tow vehical. You load thing down and when things get a bit hairy that long trailer will get a mind of its own and whip the truck around like a cork on a string. You really need a heavier tow vehical and chassis to maintain control at all times with something loaded that long. My 2 cents anyway.

my opinion has always been, just because the truck can "pull" something doesnt mean you should tow it behind you for any amount of time. Just remeber that there is 42ft behind that will push you and your truck off a hill if you get out of shape with it.

Yep when that tail on that 44 footer starts a wagging it will take that light weight P/U (in relation to loaded trailer weight) right of the road with it! It could be a very dangerous combination.

Thanks for the input guys.I'm still up in the air about buying the trailer.I would buy a dually today if I wouldn't take a 7k hit on the loan versus trade in value on my current rig.I only want to buy a trailer once and a 44 is the smallest I can get to fit both of my cars.I gives me 36 ft of floor space.My test drive included a planned 65 mph to 10 mph stomp on the binders panic stop on a remote country road.It was like I dropped anchor,it stopped straight and true without out any wiggles or scary stuff.I also ran it up to 75 and passed a semi on the left,again nothing.With my 28 ft tag every time I pass a large vehicle I feel a wobble,even with sway control and weight distributing equipment.The gooseneck hook up and tri axles go a long way toward smoothing things out.I'm thinking I could get the trailer and just be really careful until the lease is up my current truck or at least until the gap narrows on the trade in value.I have load range E Michelins at 80 psi and Firestone airbags at 30 psi they should help provide a safety factor.The 28 ft tag I have now adds 33 ft to the back of the truck with the tongue and hitch factored in.The 44 ft has 6 ft on the truck for a added length of 38 ft.That is only a 5 ft difference.The guy at the trailer place told me they have a customer that pulls a 48 ft trailer with a srw cross country.While he said he wouldn't recommend it the guys been doing it for years without any problems.I see people hauling around much taller and heavier RV type trailers with srw trucks every day on the freeway.Even with both cars in it I wouldn't weigh 20,000 lbs so being overweight isn't an issue.Hmm....

16000 or 18000 lbs spread over 44 feet is a lot to try to stabillze once it starts wagging. A convential P/U SRW or DRW just does not have the wieght to take proper "control" on that trailer when loaded if it ever gets out of hand. Sure, you may tow for years and not have a problem, but if it does arise you will have a very bad day. How much tounge wieght are you running on your tag and what is total loaded wieght of it and your hitch arangement?

I'm curious, what would be the longest trailer you would pull w/ a 2500 regular cab lb ?

Personally, I think 44 feet is too long, but would a 34 foot trailer be okay? Thanks.

With the proper hitch and load distribution lengths of up to 34' are doable if weight is reasonable. For that truck I would limit it to 11000lbs or so and only that high if it has at least 4.10 gears and a 6.0 (13000 with 4.56 gears) . Without either, I would say less than 8,000 lbs or so. WIth a 5.3 you could maybe do 10,000 lbs with a 4.10 or 4.56. This numbers will give you "usable" tow combos.

Thanks Snoman. I should have clarified, I have a 2500HD 4x4 w/ 8.1 and 4.10's. I'm going to be in the market for a gooseneck later this year to haul a car around. 34ft of trailer kind of makes me nervous even though the weights will be within the limits of the truck.

You should have no problems up to 12,000lbs or so and 30 to 34 feet would not be a big problem either and some of the length is actually in the bed with a 5th wheel. That extra 10 feet to a 44 is a killer. That 8.1 will eat that load up!

I agree with snoman. A long trailer is fine most of the time, but when the s**t hits the fan you can get completely out of control with it. A goose neck might help as it moves the sway point to or in front of the rear axle. But still, that'll be an incredible surface for a big windgust. 44ft. Wow. Better look at one of those baby freightliners for that.

Although I have never towed anything that long, I do regularily tow a 27' 5th wheel. The reason I switched from a pull-behind trailer to a 5th wheel is because they do NOT sway. A gooseneck has the same characteristic. With proper trailer brakes, towing 44', within the weight restrictions set by the manufacturer, should be no problem.

Our 00 C/K 3500 w/ a 454 tows our 34 ft. 5th wheel w/ a 1800lb Sprint Car and 1100 lb Dwarf car excellently. My dad noticed no difference from our 22 ft. tag to the 5th wheel really, dont know how, but It does struggle some under a steep hill of course, but it tows great!

Although I have never towed anything that long, I do regularily tow a 27' 5th wheel. The reason I switched from a pull-behind trailer to a 5th wheel is because they do NOT sway. A gooseneck has the same characteristic. With proper trailer brakes, towing 44', within the weight restrictions set by the manufacturer, should be no problem.

I disagree. The weight moment and center of gravity on a trailer this long (44ft) can easily overwhelm the truck under certain conditions when loaded. It is not just and weight but a mass and leverage too. If things start going badly it can whip the truck right out of control because it does not have the mass to arrest the momentum.

Our 00 C/K 3500 w/ a 454 tows our 34 ft. 5th wheel w/ a 1800lb Sprint Car and 1100 lb Dwarf car excellently. My dad noticed no difference from our 22 ft. tag to the 5th wheel really, dont know how, but It does struggle some under a steep hill of course, but it tows great!

Must not be geared to deep. With 4.56's it should walk up that hill with that load.

Archived